NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Delaware River guys - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Delaware River guys

From this Friday through Tuesday, four friends and I will be kayaking the stretch from Barryville, NY to Smithfield Beach, PA. Living out of our yaks, camping, fires, beards, the whole 9 yards. I have no experience fishing this river, but have been doing some homework. Smallies and most notably, Walleye will be my focus. If I can catch some Sunnies, I will be doing some Catfishing at night from our campsite.

Any good info for a Big D newb? We'll be documenting everthing with my buddy's quality camera, so I'm hoping to have a nice lengthy report on Tuesday night.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Delaware River guys

That sounds like an awesome trip....You Suck!. So jealous.

Have a blast and can't wait to hear the tale and see the pics. Be safe out there and good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I was just on a rafting trip in barryville this weekend. I wasn't able to fish as much as I would've liked as I was in a raft with family but still managed 8 smallmouth along the 9 mile stretch. Could've caught more if I fished the entire river. Literally there is a fish anywhere you would expect there to be one.

Last edited by nbask14; 08-06-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 01:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fished it last week with no success in the same area.for me it was more just to use my waders and new vest. I'd probably suggest tubes, my rapalas got no love that day.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 AM
iceehot6766

Skunk.....Me and my wife go kayaking there a few times each summer......While going down the river I have seen smallmouth, walleye, shad, and muskies under the kayak...The water is crystal clear. The scenery is beautiful.....The river is awesome and breathtaking in parts.....I suggest packing light and bring a cheap rod just in case you tip and lose stuff...You don't need anything fancy....Go to Walmart and buy a 20.00 combo ..I bring a 5'6" Ug;y stick and a Daiwa Crossfire rod w/ 6 pound mono and have a blast w/ those smallmouth all day long.....If you lose it, no biggie...It's not worth it to lose good rods and reels ...Enjoy the scenery...Fishing is a bonus.......As for tackle, If you want to catch fish,I would bring plenty of Mepps and rooster tail type type spinners, and also Rebel Pop-R's in baby bass and silver/black(the 2" model)...Also anything resembling a crayfish will work miracles as that is the main forage...A Rebel Crayfish or small crankbaits in crayfish will work....Also, they sell disposable throwaway underwater cameras for 20.00 at Walgreens...get a few of these as well...leave your cell phone onshore....you never know when you may hit a rock/ or rapids and tip...trust me it's not worth ruining a great weekend and losing stuff like this...Pack your wallet in a sandwich bag in case you tip.......plan in advance and you will have a great weekend.....Also one more suggestion....bring a small cooler and pack it w/ food and snacks and fruit....you get hungry and thirsty being on the river all day....I like to bring a box of Natures Valley bars and get trail mix and/or mixed nuts for the ride....and I usually end up cutting up pineapple,strawberries,blueberries,orange pieces and an apple.....It sounds like alot but it's healthy and won't mess your stomach up....You can always go swimming if it gets hot(not likely this weekend though).....Have a great time!!!....Keep an eye in the sky for Eagles....they are abundant up there.....

Last edited by iceehot6766; 08-07-2013 at 07:01 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Old Soft Salt

One more thing since your going with a small crowd; don't pack all your food and drink in one cooler. Spread it out in case the boat with the cooler flips, you'll still have other stuff in other coolers. Don't ask me how I know that either
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've always been a fan of dead drifting grubs on jigheads along current seams. Might have to experiment with color, size & weight, but it makes for a natural presentation. Sounds like an awesome trip, have fun!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Yeaaaa buddy!! Can't wait for this trip Skunk!! Everyone is packing their own food and drinks, so that in case anyone gets seperated, or something gets tipped, it doesnt all go awash. That, and we have plenty of waterproof bags to hold the vital gear in, including my nice camera. Hopefully we'll have plenty of pictures. So far, I have only caught some shad while fishing the D.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

great advice from iceehot, I have had good luck w spinners too but I havent fished the D in years other than shad. Theres TONS of bait in the D, makes skunksville and hopatcong look like a joke, and IMO makes fishing tuff especially w clear water conditions. My goto is always a jig of some sort, I love twistertails on VMC halfmoon eyes and anykind of paddle tail soft swimbait, u can catch anything on them. And of course live bait and crayfish, flip some rocks in the shallows and get some freshies and toss em out, if it looks fishy it is fishy, they are everywhere
Old 08-07-2013, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Watch for bears in that area.

One evening, I was fishing by Worthington State Forest when I saw what I assumed was another beaver swimming by the kayak I had anchored in the river. When it got close enough for my myopic eyes to make it out, I realized it was a big Black Bear doggy-paddling past my kayak!

I pulled in the anchor so fast I almost hit myself in the head with it. After I put some distance between us, I pulled out my camera and snapped a few pics of the bear.

Last edited by Eskimo; 08-07-2013 at 12:53 PM..