NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tip for 4G Droid Phone Battery Life - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Tip for 4G Droid Phone Battery Life

For those of you with 4G Droid Phones, you may have noticed if you upgraded your phone to the latest Droid operating system, Ice Cream Sandwich or (ICS) you no longer have the ability to select the network the data side your phone runs on. 3G or 4G...

At least on the Verizon network as I see it, they want to force as many people as they can over to the 4G network since the 3G network is getting too crowded and when I did the last ICS upgrade it forced me on to the 4G network and there was no longer a way to change it in your settings.

Yes 4G is a faster network for sure, however it drains your battery down considerably faster then 3G. When I have my phone on 4G it needs to charged every day.... On 3 G every other day and this is with the Droid Razr Maxx with the high capacity battery.

There is an app you can find on the Google Play Store called LTE On/Off that allows you to select 4G or 3G. Once you download it, click on it and under Set Preffered network choose CDMA auto (PRL) and you will see a huge improvement in your battery life.

You can thank me later

PS.. You guys with the cult like Girly iPhones are probably saying... Uhhh. I have no issues with battery life on my iPhone... Well wait until the 5S when you finally have a bigger screen and 4G... Talk to me then Girly Men

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tip for 4G Droid Phone Battery Life

im going to give it a try

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hi Gerry
I'm already have problems w the Ihone 5 battery and the huge date usage..
any ideas or apps you suggest for the girly phone
Old 10-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Tony - Now that the iPhone 5 has a larger screen and 4G, I'm not surprised the battery life is not meeting your expectations. The reason the iPhone 4 and 4S had great battery life was due in part to their smaller screens and only running on the 3G network.

Did some searching around and found this article on how to improve your battery life by turning off 4G and tweaking some other settings. Hope this helps you and the rest of the "Girly Phone" users

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09...-battery-life/

PS - Just watch yourself surfing around these iPhone sites... Many of them will also try and suck you into opening a Pintrest account and next thing you know you'll be decorating the house and shaving your legs (PMP)

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For the iPhone5 someone told me to adjust the "Brightness" setting as mine was all the way up. I moved it between 1/4 and a1/2 and now it is lasting me at lot longer, if not all day. Another thing is to make sure you clear out all your applications, by double clicking at the home screen and then deleting open apps.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yep. adjusting the screen brightiness is the key. now if I only can get Verizon to stop over charging me for data useed while in wifi..
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis
Yep. adjusting the screen brightiness is the key. now if I only can get Verizon to stop over charging me for data useed while in wifi..

Did you know that SMS messaging ALWAYS goes through the data feed even if you're on wifi? I bet they could easily convert it over if they wanted to but then they'd lose money. So sending pictures and stuff via that method costs you data even if you don't see the 3G/4G thing lit up.

Also on older Android phones you can use an App called Advanced Task Killer to save battery. Phones with ICS or Jelly Bean have a better method built in.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That's good to know, but listen to this....... My Verizon Iphone5 is connecting to Verizon cellular network even when in wifi. The phone will use data once or twice a day (around midnight) to connect to Verizon (to report what? I don’t know). I tried a few things so far nothing worked, I did a fresh installation to the iPhone and a backup and reinstall twice and the last thing when I shut it off at night the damn thing will connect to Verizon first thing when I start it….. Interesting!..
The last thing when I contacted Verizon they agreed to cover the extra data usage till this gets fixed if it gets fixed.