NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bushkill Pa. 5/16/19: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Bushkill Pa. 5/16/19:

What do you call it, the Bushkill river, stream, creek ??? Whatever you wan't to call it I had a fun (but short) time fishing the Bushkill near the Pocono mountains in Pennsylvania. I really enjoy the Keystone state, people are very nice, it's very clean and people seem to move at a slower pace than us in New Jersey. Again I was greeted by very high water that I was unable to wade safely. I walked a path that ran along the river from the road and before I knew it I was staring at the Delaware river !!!
Everything is high and the Bushkill was tea colored and the Delaware river looked like Yoo-Hoo. I packed shad darts just in case but that wasn't happening. Really enjoyed the walk along the river, the density of the forest seems much thicker than that of N.J., even the ground covering was different with thick ferns. The walk through the woods was worth the price of admission with the smell of honey-suckle so thick in the air and the misty sun shining through the trees. I'm no stranger to Limestones of Pa. as I lived out by Reading and cut my teeth on these streams as a kid using a yellow Rooster-tail spinner and banking many large trout. Too bad the Bushkill Falls park didn't open till 9am or I would have stopped in. I'm sure there are more than enough creeks and streams within the Pocono mountain region that hold trout if you wanted to take the time and explore, for me it's a 90 minute drive which is nice.
ANYWAY, that's twice to Pa. and twice no fish and the window for focusing on trout is starting to close, I don't like to target trout over 80* air temp, just can't get in the mood.
Popped in and looked at our local streams on the way home. The Pequest was really muddy but the South Branch, Musconetcong and Raritan river were starting to clear up. I think we can all agree that we have had enough rain for a while. I even stopped by Spruce Run and it was nice to see the reservoir full of water. Stopped by The Sporting Life and said hello to everyone. I even set foot in the Green Brook right by my home and wanted to see how that was looking after many clean ups, it looked good.
Again thinking if I had the boat out today it would have been a great day to drown some herring, maybe soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	133367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	133368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	133369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	133370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	133371  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	133372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	133373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	133374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	133375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	133376  

Last edited by AndyS; 05-16-2019 at 06:35 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 01:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Bushkill Pa. 5/16/19:

You can get steam conditions from the USGS for virtually any stream. I can't copy and paste, but FWIW the flow is way down on the Bushkill from Monday.

I fish the Yellow Breeches in PA quite a bit and check before I take a 2 1/2 hour drive.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Bushkill is always tea colored even when it's low and clear. Tannin from the pine trees along it's banks. FWIW it's also an SOB to wade, use a staff if you have it.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Bushkill Pa. 5/16/19:

SOOOOOO apparently there are TWO Bushkills. One near the town of Bushkill near the famous Bushkill Falls and the other Bushkill that runs through downtown Easton Pa.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
SOOOOOO apparently there are TWO Bushkills. One near the town of Bushkill near the famous Bushkill Falls and the other Bushkill that runs through downtown Easton Pa.
Yes correct! So many ceeeks run through that area it will make your head spin. Take a drive to McMichaels, Bridges’s, Martins and Tobyhanna creeks next. Lots of water to cover. I’ve seen em all! Used to get my PA license every year.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Just like ^^^ Eddie said there is a ton of creeks, streams and small rivers in Pa. real close to the Jersey border and most have quite a bit of access for fishing. If you’re ever near the Belvidere area I highly recommend crossing the bridge in town over to Pa. and go straight on that road about 5 miles and you will come to the town of and the Creek of Martens Creek good trout fishing and the water is cold! Find your way to where it dumps into the Delaware River you will be glad you did!!! If that doesn’t pay off just come back to Belvidere you have the Pequest, Delaware and good ole Beaver Brook to drown bait in!!