NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Dash Cams - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Dash Cams

I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on aftermarket Dash Cameras? I see a lot of cool crap when I'm on the road and obviously you can't just whip out your phone and take a picture. Plus some jack wagon almost hit me pulling out of daycare the other day. I would swear I was right but the way it would have happened I would have been "at fault". You guys know how it is.

Anyway, Seems like they've become way more affordable now. I was looking on Amazon and in the 100 dollar range they all look the same except the reviews are questionable. So I was wondering if anyone had something and liked it at all. I don't wanna spend 300 bucks on a Garmin one, it doesn't seem that important to me just for a new toy and I have no need of a GPS on my dash when I have Waze.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Dash Cams

I do not have one in my personal vehicle but the fleet I work on has a cam in every vehicle.

What I can tell you is we tried numerous cams (brands and price ranges). It basically comes down to what ya spend. The more $ the better the video. The $100 cameras were absolute garbage if your looking for a clear video.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Funny, saw one on either qvc or hsn don't remenber, just the other day. 1080p and under 100. Maybe you can find it online.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
Funny, saw one on either qvc or hsn don't remenber, just the other day. 1080p and under 100. Maybe you can find it online.
Oh there's TONS online for under 100 bucks. They all seem to use the same combo of chipset and lens. Kind of like those stupid hoverboards that were blowing up left and right around Christmas? I'd assume it's a few factories all using the same parts. The imported ones at least. The reviews on Amazon seem to be mostly positive on basically anyone you pick. That said they all sound a bit off. As if it's the same person doing the reviews and many of them say they were given a sample to make a review.

I'm afraid what Duff said is probably the correct answer. You get what you pay for. I may just buy a cheap one to play with and then if I like it upgrade eventually. I was hoping someone here would have had real life experience, but so far no such luck. On the highly technical board I'm on the few people who answered it either came with their car, or they have the high end one, or they made one themselves! Either way not exactly real world experience from my peers.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Think I'm gonna go with this one. I have prime so if it sucks I can return it for free with zero worries. The company seems to be the most helpful of all the foreign ones. If I like it I'll eventually get something better. I'd actually like to put one on our work truck too. But that's up to the bigger boss.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE?...et_detail_page
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Russ, Costco has them for about $79.00. I'm thinking of getting for the same reason(s) you mentioned.