NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat Recommendations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Boat Recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a boat. Right now I'm looking at a 2006 Wellcraft 180 Fishermen, 2007 Triumph 195CC or a 2004 Seaswirl 1851CC. Boat to be used in the Raritan Bay and maybe out front on a nice day. Any advice on the pro's, con's or limitations is appreciate. Thank you in advanced.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Boat Recommendations

Nothing specific. Some general considerations.

Women on board? A concealed toilet(head).

Dock back bay? Engine's should be on the larger selection side for long run Keyport to Romer's or Shrewsbury Rocks on good days. Sea Tow Insurance.

Trailering or docking?

That size is about right for your use. I always liked higher bow freeboard and flared bow to knock down spray.

Colder rainier fishing? Hard top with side curtains?
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

All of those boat brands mentioned are in the same general tier of boats.

As Frank mentioned which one would be a better boat depends on how you intend to use them vs how they are laid out and what engines they have on them as well.

Cuddy with an enclosure would be nice for inclement weather and a potti for women and children but a center console in that size is going to give you a lot more fishing room but less protection from the weather.

As far as engines that is a big consideration as well. I would assume these are outboard boats and depending on the year and brand of outboards, there are some that you want to stay away from and other that are more desireable.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thank you for your replies Gentlemen.

My wife is not into boating, just me and my son. The Welcraft has a 150 Yamaha, while the other two have a 115 Yamaha. I know the 115 is a little under powered. Should that make my decision? I currently have a 17 foot center console, so I'm use to getting wet. Just want something a little larger that can go out front. Right now I hardly pass the candle sticks, except for a really nice day.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you currently have a 17ft then I don't think it'll be worth just stepping up to an 18ft. In short order you're going to want even bigger and in a few years you're going to find yourself back in this same position. I'd rec taking a look at some similar models in the 19-21ft range with 150-200hp outboards. There are some great deals around if you keep your eyes open. If you tell us what your honest budget is we may be able to make some suggestions for you.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
If you currently have a 17ft then I don't think it'll be worth just stepping up to an 18ft. In short order you're going to want even bigger and in a few years you're going to find yourself back in this same position. I'd rec taking a look at some similar models in the 19-21ft range with 150-200hp outboards. There are some great deals around if you keep your eyes open. If you tell us what your honest budget is we may be able to make some suggestions for you.
I'm with AC ^^^^

And yes, I would go with as much power as possible. Nothing worse than an unpowered boat, especially when it gets rough. I've always been told you should have at least 75% of the max horsepower the hull is rate for.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thank you Gentlemen.

Would like to spend around $15,000 but could go up to $20,000 without getting the look from my wife. Anything above that, I don't know. Also I would like a trailer and a Yammie. My mechanic works on all engines but really knows Yamaha's.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I think you are on the right track with the Yammie.... 4 stroke would be best, some of the newer technology 2 Stroke HDPIs had issues and you almost cant kill their older 2 strokes.

Whatever you decide on make sure and have your offer pending a survey from a Marine Surveyor or your Mechanic. It's money well spent.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

15 or 20 can get you a lot theses days you just have to shop a little try boat traders and as jerry said get them surveyed. My last boat was a twenty ft mako with a Johnson 115 and that puppy moved. So a 18 or 19 ft with a one fifty should do everything and anything close to shore. Seriously though shop around and I will looked also I bought my 2004 26 ft angler cc with twin 150 mercs with low hours for 25 ( best money I ever spent) so shop and shop you will find something good luck Pete
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68581

I'm sure you saw this....but this is a solid deal on an entry level boat. Palm Beach boats are well made and this one is set up to go. Get a couple years out of her and get your feet wet. You could probably sell her for as much as you paid with proper maintenance.

If I were looking, I'd buy this in a heartbeat!