NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

I Need Help Frogging - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-29-2019, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default I Need Help Frogging

So I was fishing a topwater frog this weekend and got tons of hits. But my bite to landed ratio was like 10-1. I would give them a split second before setting the hook. They stay on for a little bit, some half way thru the fight but then the frog would just pop out. Some would then hit it a second time and it would pop out again. I lost some monsters too. What is the trick to landing fish on frogs. I was thinking about bending the hooks out a little but then it wouldn't be weedless.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: I Need Help Frogging

Bend the hook points up and out. It will stay fairly weedless. Give it a 2 count before setting the hook.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:38 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I live for topwater action! I probably fish surface lure 60% of the time and the weedless frog can be a frustrating lure! The only thing I could ever come up with is to bend the hooks up away from frog, yes you will catch more weeds which gets frustrating but nowhere near as frustrating as loosing fish after fish after fish! Also have to be very patient and don’t set the hook until the fish puts tension on the pole
Old 09-30-2019, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Every good 'frog fishing' lake up by me has pretty much gone to mediocre over the years so i really don't do it as much as i wish i did anymore, but I used to find this... try shorter casts so you have a better angle upward on the fish, wait as you've been doing (even smear some scent gel on there so it doesn't taste like plastic to the fish while you're waiting), and then set the hook straight up like you're jigging but do it HARD when it comes tight (it feels weird cause you'd normally hit it sideways almost parallel to the water if it was a normal top water). So basically, you're taking out as much drag as possible off the line on the water and thick weeds and putting all that power into blasting those hooks out of the weedless frog and into the fish's mouth. And yes i know, it's easier said than done haha.

Also keep in mind to try some different colors if they aren't hitting it as well as you'd want just like other lures, sometimes changing the color gets more of them to commit just a little better on any given day.

P.S. invite me to your frogging lakes cause north jersey frogging sucks recently!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post

P.S. invite me to your frogging lakes cause north jersey frogging sucks recently!
I probably won't hit it again till next year but you're welcome to come. Just keep it top secret. I don't have many good lakes anymore
Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I ran into the same issue last few seasons, my lake is perfect for frogging, but hook ups were a problem, i did the bending the hooks up, shortening the skirt, and that help a little. Then i added a stinger hook, and my hook ups have doubled, i do get a bit more weeds but worth it for the extra hook ups. I'm fishing mostly in duckweed.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerringKing View Post
I probably won't hit it again till next year but you're welcome to come. Just keep it top secret. I don't have many good lakes anymore
one by one my good frogging lakes just stopped being good for frogging... I know some are from the lakes getting weed kill treatments and the weeds not even being there anymore, others got drained from dam repairs and just don't have big bass in them anymore (maybe in a few years). Others i can't even explain, but they've declined enough that i don't usually even bother frogging them. Get much more action with other methods.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Not sure on your setup, but when I frog I like using my 7-6 med-hvy fast action Dobyns rod spooled with 30lb Power Pro braid on a baitcaster, and have the drag LOCKED DOWN. Like they all mentioned, these frogs can and will be frustrating, but the best method that works for me bend the hooks up slightly, and after the hit wait to see your line take off, and set the hook HARD, I mean as hard as you can, with that kinda of setup it will handle it. Also try this, some days the bass are just not committing 100% to the frog and it seems like you just keeping missing them, so when I frog I also have another setup with a 3/0 HEAVY duty VMC (Or any brand of your choice) using a paddle frog, my choice of paddle frogs is the Ribbit frog. You basically texas rig the frog to be 100% weedless, and you can do a slow of fast retrieve, whichever they prefer that day. You set the hook in the same fashion, BUT you get a way better hook set with the 3/0 hook, and being the frog is a soft plastic, you will def. have a better hook up ratio with them. I actually fish way more with the paddle frog then with a other type frog with the 2 hooks bending up the back unless they dont want to hit moving baits that day, then I will switch and use the other style at a slow popping pace. Hope this helps you out. Any other questions, do be afaid to ask.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just to add, check out this channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSFxjNH_7G0