NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Electronic Fuel Injection vs carburetor on 9.9 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-31-2017, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Electronic Fuel Injection vs carburetor on 9.9

So I am in the market for my first 9.9 hp outboard and I had my heart set on the Mercury short shaft. But today I stumbled upon a Suzuki 9.9 for basically the same price that has EFI instead of a carburetor. Seems like a no brainer to go with the Suzuki even though it's 15 pounds heavier...am I missing something? FYI I know nothing about this subject that's why I'm asking the question!

Also I found a 9.8 hp Tohatsu that is lighter and cheaper than the Mercury...given tohatsu makes the small mercury motors, again it seems like a no-brainer to go with the Tohatsu if I decide to go with a carburetor...anyone agree/disagree?

Last edited by nate01; 08-31-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 08-31-2017, 11:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Electronic Fuel Injection vs carburetor on 9.9

Where are you using it? Salt/fresh? Are there restrictions against 2 strokes? Don't mind a little smoke? If not, I would look for a clean used Evinrude or Johnson 2 stroke.
IMO, the best small motors made. Very dependable, easy to start, light weight, more resistant to ethanol issues etc. I'll start with going back to the late 60's and early 70's. Many of your boat rental liverys that I remember renting from used these motors. Day in and day out. They can take a beating. Personally, I own a few of these and will not part with them. I have run a few of the newer 4 stroke small motors and thought they were horrible. Mainly Yamaha's. Heavy and no torque compared to the 2 strokes. And service wise, 2 stroke carbed are much easier. Get some contaminated fuel in your fuel system on a fuel injected engine, you won't be happy with the service bill. If you must go 4 stroke, I'd go Tohatsu. Tide's End Marina in Waretown has been a Tohatsu dealer forever. Talk to AL Martino, there service manager.
MirrorCraft 16 Tin Northport Troller Johnson 25
Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Not sure of the years you mention. The newer 2 strokes are MUCH more cleaner than the past. In fact will cost less to run ( excluding 2 stroke oil).

Carbs are a pain in the ass. Plain and simple. Had Merc 9.9 amd 20hp two strokes. And carbs were the main source of repairs- however infrequent they were once I found a good mechanic.

I now have a Merc 25hp efi 4 stroke in my use year 8. Problems free. I mean absolute 0 problems. NONE. Almars in Delaware. Fantastic Price and no sales tax. Worth my drive from Bergen county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Matt View Post
Where are you using it? Salt/fresh? Are there restrictions against 2 strokes? Don't mind a little smoke? If not, I would look for a clean used Evinrude or Johnson 2 stroke.
IMO, the best small motors made. Very dependable, easy to start, light weight, more resistant to ethanol issues etc. I'll start with going back to the late 60's and early 70's. Many of your boat rental liverys that I remember renting from used these motors. Day in and day out. They can take a beating. Personally, I own a few of these and will not part with them. I have run a few of the newer 4 stroke small motors and thought they were horrible. Mainly Yamaha's. Heavy and no torque compared to the 2 strokes. And service wise, 2 stroke carbed are much easier. Get some contaminated fuel in your fuel system on a fuel injected engine, you won't be happy with the service bill. If you must go 4 stroke, I'd go Tohatsu. Tide's End Marina in Waretown has been a Tohatsu dealer forever. Talk to AL Martino, there service manager.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 09-01-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Old 09-01-2017, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is for use in fresh water only, and I've had problems with used small motors in the past so I am buying new...so 4-stroke is the only option.

I guess what I'm struggling with is the advantage of having a lighter, more simple carbureted engine that would be cheaper to repair vs having something that is clearly a technological advancement that is arguably less likely to need adjustments etc. Given I'm not mechanically inclined, and lazy, that is a big plus for me. Keep in mind I'm not running this thing every day or even every week, and there will long periods of time it sits in my garage. My old carbureted 5hp didn't react very well to month old gas etc.

Last edited by nate01; 09-01-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-01-2017, 12:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've only run in salt water since 1981.

ONLY use treated gas. I run nothing but that in every tank that is connected to it. and don't run them dry. Wrecks the seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate01 View Post
This is for use in fresh water only, and I've had problems with used small motors in the past so I am buying new...so 4-stroke is the only option.

I guess what I'm struggling with is the advantage of having a lighter, more simple carbureted engine that would be cheaper to repair vs having something that is clearly a technological advancement that is arguably less likely to need adjustments etc. Given I'm not mechanically inclined, and lazy, that is a big plus for me. Keep in mind I'm not running this thing every day or even every week, and there will long periods of time it sits in my garage. My old carbureted 5hp didn't react very well to month old gas etc.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-05-2017, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a merc 9.9 since 2000. bought it new when I got my duranautic vhull. im " no fix it guy" but it has served me well and I just do basic maintanence. I got the electric start option. I run stable thru it occasionally and never had any issues . the one thing I do with the gas line is once I put it on the trailer I pop the gas line off and let it run fuel out of it. especially at the end of the season. I do winterize it too for that matter.