NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

First boat questions. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 01-07-2017, 09:14 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default First boat questions.

So between now and the spring I'll be looking into buying my first boat, preferably a bass boat. I live right near lake Hopatcong so I'll probably fish there every once in a while but never on the weekends. I will also fish some lakes the have the 10 hp limit and electric only. My main question is what size boat will be good. I want something big enough to handle LH small enough that I can get around with a trolling motor. I was thinking 16-18 v hull. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: First boat questions.

16-18 v or semi v would be a great start. Make sure you either have the boat looked at by someone who knows what to look for or buy new. I started with a 14 ft star craft with a 25 hp. 30 years later and 8/9 boats I have a 14ft Starcraft with a 9.9 4 stroke And a 23.5 Grady 300 hp. I have had almost everything in between. I love my lunds never leaked and tough as nails. Outboards from 5hp to 300hp. Evinrude , Tohatsu and now Suzuki. Been very fortunate over the years. Take your time and pull,trigger when it feels right. Bigger is not always better. Good luck! And enjoy.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCinerie View Post
16-18 v or semi v would be a great start. Make sure you either have the boat looked at by someone who knows what to look for or buy new. I started with a 14 ft star craft with a 25 hp. 30 years later and 8/9 boats I have a 14ft Starcraft with a 9.9 4 stroke And a 23.5 Grady 300 hp. I have had almost everything in between. I love my lunds never leaked and tough as nails. Outboards from 5hp to 300hp. Evinrude , Tohatsu and now Suzuki. Been very fortunate over the years. Take your time and pull,trigger when it feels right. Bigger is not always better. Good luck! And enjoy.
Thanks for the advice. That Grady must be something on the open water.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quandary is light weight Aluminum hull, or heavier riding fiberglass for starters?

High gunwales or none a la bass boat?

They do make electric motors up to 48 vdc

Open boat w/ no toilet for women or a below deck head?

Peripheral issues.... Then you get into trailering. Where to store when not in use and what to pull the boat-trailer with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk0014 View Post
So between now and the spring I'll be looking into buying my first boat, preferably a bass boat. I live right near lake Hopatcong so I'll probably fish there every once in a while but never on the weekends. I will also fish some lakes the have the 10 hp limit and electric only. My main question is what size boat will be good. I want something big enough to handle LH small enough that I can get around with a trolling motor. I was thinking 16-18 v hull. Thoughts?
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber