NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Clarification on NJ boating regulations... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Clarification on NJ boating regulations...

I just got off the phone with the NJ State Marine Police.. I was under the impression that I could not legally operate a boat in NJ because I had not taken the boaters safety course, Asked here at NJF about it, and the general consensus was that I would not be in compliance, and was risking a ticket.. It just did not seem to make sense to me that a tourist state like NJ would not allow people from out of state to operate a boat in NJ, and take their considerable recreational expenditures elsewhere.

The officer told me that was false, and that you are bound by the laws of the state you live in. Since NY has no boaters safety course [as of now, only personal watercraft, SeaDoos, etc, and only for those born after 5/1/96], they told me I was fine, and added, especially if you are in tidal waters.. So, NY residents are welcome to use their boat in NJ, as long as it goes home with you. I think if its docked in NJ you would have to get the NJ certificate, thats what the officer seemed to imply.. So,NJ wants my money after all!... Hopefully see you guys out on Raritan/Sandy Hook bay this friday.. No more packed head boats for me for a while...

btw, the officer I spoke to was very helpful and courteous, and set my mind at ease quickly,, I was very appreciative...... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 06-08-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Old 06-08-2016, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Clarification on NJ boating regulations...

Enjoy our fine waters
Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
Enjoy our fine waters
They used to be my fine waters as well.. Used to live in Union Beach a block from the bay... Had unbelievable fishing in those days.. Except for stripers which were hard to find during during those years... bob
Old 06-08-2016, 05:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Do yourself a favor and send a letter to the Marine Police. When you get the reply carry it with you. My experience with State employees has been less than stellar. Word of mouth never trumps the written law.

HOFNOD Fishing Instructor, k2jwk@optimum.net
Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofnodinstructor View Post
Do yourself a favor and send a letter to the Marine Police. When you get the reply carry it with you. My experience with State employees has been less than stellar. Word of mouth never trumps the written law.
I see where you are coming from... However, I was just at the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission website and got this information, C&P'd below which even many longtime boat owners didn't seem to know... The boater safety certificate or " boaters license" is not required on tidal waters, only inland non tidal lakes and rivers.. I have been looking at this for a couple years, getting whatever advice I could, and it was mostly all wrong... You don't need the safety course in salt or tidal water, according to the officer I spoke with... bob

From NJ MVC website-
MVC issues motorboat and personal watercraft licenses for use on fresh, non-tidal waters or lakes, creeks or rivers not affected by tidal conditions. A boat license and New Jersey boat safety certificate is required to operate a power vessel or personal watercraft - jet ski or waverunner - on non-tidal waters of New Jersey. A boat license is not required for non-powered vessels.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'm with shrimpy... Enjoy the water. On another note the boaters safety course isn't bad. You may find it useful... I did.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watreiler View Post
I'm with shrimpy... Enjoy the water. On another note the boaters safety course isn't bad. You may find it useful... I did.
Understood, but the safety course in NY state is geared toward young SeaDoo operators.. My son took it a few years ago. I have owned boats for over 40 years, and at this point in my 60's I am not sure it would make a difference.. I tend to be as safe as I possibly can be when operating a boat... bob
Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You have 1/2 bad info. Frankly I am surprised the Marine Bureau Boating Education Unit answered the call at all. They frown upon any boater call ins and refer everyone back to the course providers or their website.

You must have your home state's NASBLA approved course or equivalent education even if less that 90 days usage in NJ .

As to out of state visitor boaters of less that 90 days . . . SEE NJAC 12:7-61. Section 4b iii "a boat safety certificate issued by the state or country in which the person resides"

I am licensed and teach both NY and NJ. You can take the whole NY NASBLA approved course on line including the exam which NJ prohibits. NY added that in May 2015. Either BoaterExam.com or Boatcourse.com.

And yes it is true that NY is much more PWC hostile than NJ. Geez in NY a course graduate 10 year old can run unlimited horsepower power boat but not a PWC. THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I just got off the phone with the NJ State Marine Police.. I was under the impression that I could not legally operate a boat in NJ because I had not taken the boaters safety course, Asked here at NJF about it, and the general consensus was that I would not be in compliance, and was risking a ticket.. It just did not seem to make sense to me that a tourist state like NJ would not allow people from out of state to operate a boat in NJ, and take their considerable recreational expenditures elsewhere.

The officer told me that was false, and that you are bound by the laws of the state you live in. Since NY has no boaters safety course [as of now, only personal watercraft, SeaDoos, etc, and only for those born after 5/1/96], they told me I was fine, and added, especially if you are in tidal waters.. So, NY residents are welcome to use their boat in NJ, as long as it goes home with you. I think if its docked in NJ you would have to get the NJ certificate, thats what the officer seemed to imply.. So,NJ wants my money after all!... Hopefully see you guys out on Raritan/Sandy Hook bay this friday.. No more packed head boats for me for a while...

btw, the officer I spoke to was very helpful and courteous, and set my mind at ease quickly,, I was very appreciative...... bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 06-09-2016 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-10-2016, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
You have 1/2 bad info. Frankly I am surprised the Marine Bureau Boating Education Unit answered the call at all. They frown upon any boater call ins and refer everyone back to the course providers or their website.

You must have your home state's NASBLA approved course or equivalent education even if less that 90 days usage in NJ .

As to out of state visitor boaters of less that 90 days . . . SEE NJAC 12:7-61. Section 4b iii "a boat safety certificate issued by the state or country in which the person resides"

I am licensed and teach both NY and NJ. You can take the whole NY NASBLA approved course on line including the exam which NJ prohibits. NY added that in May 2015. Either BoaterExam.com or Boatcourse.com.

And yes it is true that NY is much more PWC hostile than NJ. Geez in NY a course graduate 10 year old can run unlimited horsepower power boat but not a PWC. THAT MAKES NO SENSE.
Capt Frank.. The NY course is not required at all unless you were born after May 1 , 1996. so I am fulfilling the requirements of my home state. its a personal watercraft course, not a boating course, unless something has changed drastically in the past few years. I am not required to have anything at all in my home state.. Also, I was told that the NJ boaters "license" was NOT needed in tidal waters, only inland non tidal waters, including creeks and rivers.. This comes straight from the NJ Marine Police.. Now I am more confused than ever... bob
Old 06-10-2016, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just went to this NJ. gov website...http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/boat_resource_guide.pdf

It states right in black and white with big arrows pointing to it that the "boating license", is NOT needed in tidal waters at all.. Only non tidal waters,,,
Perhaps NJ is vague about this on purpose so that thousands of salt water anglers with boats will go pay for something that is NOT required... Not sure of anything on this subject anymore, but we will find out what happens if I get boarded I guess... bob