NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Taking 17 ft boat offshore question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Taking 17 ft boat offshore question

Recently got a 1994 17 ft proline center console. Has a 115 2 stroke johnson. My question is hiw far offshore do you think is managable on the average day. Have a 30 gallon gas tank. Im interested in all opinions
Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Taking 17 ft boat offshore question

Had my 19 cc to the shark river reef. 18 miles out. It was a perfect day. I have run to the rockaway reef a few times. Scotland, the rocks, the rattle snake. It depends on weather and the condition of your boat and your seamanship.

Start out close, gain experience and venture as far as you are comfortable.

Have your pfd's and all other safety equipment ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	94064  

Last edited by shrimpman steve; 03-16-2016 at 10:45 PM..
Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I started out with a smaller boat myself. You can go as far as your gas tank will
let you, just don't get caught in bad weather. Wind makes waves, if you feel it kicking up get safe, don't rely on the forecast.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As pointed out, familiarize yourself with the boat and fuel consumption. And watch VRO oil consumption too. Run the boat and note the times, speeds and distances then fill up. DO this a few times to get a comfort zone. Like running at 3800rpm cruise doing 28 knots and burn 6 gallons per hour. That works out to roughly 28/6 or 4.5 mpg at 3800 under THOSE SEA CONDITIONS & LOADING IN THE BOAT. The Uppercase indicates that will change the mpg you figure on.

Motor have sweet spots that give best MPG's. They public a curve. Most O/B's around 3500 to 3800 rpms max efficiency.

Use the motor tilt not the trim tabs( if you have them) to trim the boat. Trim tabs are parasitic and work by adding or removing drag. While trimming the O/B is way more efficient directing thrust. Trim it right and you may be a few 100 more rpms without touching the throttle. watch the GPS speed react. Too much up trim and the speed will drop. Ideally on plane . . . the boat ride about 5 degrees bow up and the O/B cavitation plate is parallel to the surface.

Rule of thirds on fuel range. 1/3 of tank out. 1/3 of tank back. 1/3 of tank just in case. Get towing insurance. (PM me...... I can get you a free trial membership for 60 days unlimited coverage).

Get a good VHF setup. Get a hi gain antenna to boost weaker reception and have you antenna as high as practical to bost your range. Remember this gadget may save your life. This is not where to save your money.

My guess on that boat and motor is about 4-5 mpg on cruise 3500-4000 rpm's

Weather is always a factor. Of course know wind direction and speed. Direction can tell you in you're in a lee and it's a lot worse than you see dockside. Also an outgoing tide and a wind blowing it back in create waves with no backs. You drop off the wave top HARD.

Experience carries day. And sooner or later you will be in the crap. Read up on the theories and be ready to use it in real life when you need it. And don't be afraid to go slow when you need to. Too many operators will feel the need for speed in tight quarters or running in the slop. You need enough for control. The rest is convenience.

Remember fortune favors the prepared. Your good preps and caution minimize your ever skills being tested.

And on visitors, if it's on the edge of bad conditions DON'T GO. If it turns crappy these people will never come back again. Lessons I learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klark2008 View Post
Recently got a 1994 17 ft proline center console. Has a 115 2 stroke johnson. My question is hiw far offshore do you think is managable on the average day. Have a 30 gallon gas tank. Im interested in all opinions
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-18-2016 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

17 feet may get you out near the mud buoy area on a good day. I would not venture out much further. ALWAYS watch the weather. I had my old 23 center out to the chicken many times. eventually you will get caught in weather as I did. keep cool and follow a plan and you will be fine. safety is everything in a small boat. keep one radio on the weather at all times. good luck and stay safe
Old 03-17-2016, 04:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by klark2008 View Post
You haven't stated your starting point. If you're coming from Keyport, Sandy Hook Reef maybe as far as you want to go, given your relatively small gas tank.

As Capt. Frank stated, you really need to find out what your fuel consumption rates are, then you'll have some idea how far you want to travel. There's plenty of great fishing within 5 miles of the Jersey Shore, so don't be feeling that you're missing out because you can't reach the canyons.

Don't forget safety equipment...VHF marine radio, flares, PFD's.

And get towing insurance....you'll only need it once to be glad you spent the money.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ

Last edited by Walleyed; 03-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyed View Post
You haven't stated your starting point. If you're coming from Keyport, Sandy Hook Reef maybe as far as you want to go, given your relatively small gas tank.

As Capt. Frank stated, you really need to find out what your fuel consumption rates are, then you'll have some idea how far you want to travel. There's plenty of great fishing within 5 miles of the Jersey Shore, so don't be feeling that you're missing out because you can't reach the canyons.

Don't forget safety equipment...VHF marine radio, flares, PFD's.

And get towing insurance....you'll only need it once to be glad you spent the money.
thanks for the info. honestly I would probably be either the atlantic highlands or shark river. maybe barnegat. most likely highlands or shark river as the fishing at barnegat seems to not be producing much lately for us.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I appreciate every ones help I will certainly keep it in my mind. I am definitely going to learn the boat and get a feel for it before I leave the bay. We fished highlands and shark river a lot past 2 years but we never went through inlet. how good is fishing out side of shark river inlet?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Must be careful at the inlet. It can be fine when you leave and QUITE NASTY by the time you get back. I mean real nasty.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Steve and all above are right, if you are out there and get in trouble you can also follow a larger vessel in by traveling behind them. You would have to get ok with captain but most wouldn't mind if you were in a bad spot. Just something you can do in jam.