NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Walk Around Cuddy Cabin - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Walk Around Cuddy Cabin

Hey Guys And Gals,
I Need A Few Opinions, Im Want To Buy A Boat. I Want A Fishing Boat And The Wife Wants A Cabin Cruiser So We Can Take The Kid And Be Able To Keep Her Out Of The Sun If Needed. I Have Fished Out Of Cuddys Before And Theres Almost No Room, So We Settled On A Walk Around Cuddy, And Kill 2 Bird W/ One Stone. I Was Wondering If Any One Here Ownes One Or Knoews Some One That Ownes One. How Do They Like It, Rides Nice? Fishability? Ive Also Considered Goin A Decent Distance Off Shore, How Are The In Decent Seas. I Was Looking To Buy One At Least 23 Foot And With A Outboard No Less Then 175. Any Tips Or Opinions Would Be Awsome.. Thanks Again
Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Walk Around Cuddy Cabin

That's like saying I decided to buy a 4 door car.

Does anybody own a 4 door car. If so, how do you like it?

Lots of different brands/models of Walk arounds.

They all handle and ride differently.

Unless getting something like Bates 23' Grady Gulfstream, avg 23' isn't all that big and their is neither a lot of fishing room nor a lot of Cabin room.
Kind of in between for both.

Figure out what you want to spend 1st, then decide what kind and how big of a boat you want.

175 on almost any 23 Walk around would be bordering on, if not completely underpowered.

How far offshore do you plan to go?

Yo seem not to have much if any boating experience, so going far offshore in a small boat is probably not a great idea until you have a couple of years operating under your belt.

Used boat market is great now, so if you can, rally think about a 25 or 26' WA if you can afford.

Last edited by mboy; 04-03-2009 at 06:08 AM..
Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I own a Hydro sport 23 walk around, and it probably would be what your looking for.It has a 200 hp engine that pushes it pretty well, but could even be a 225 for a little more power.I agree on a reg walk around you have the engine directly on the boat which gives you little cockpit room,but if you look for something like mine the engine is on a bracket which gives you a true 23 feet of boat and makes a lot of difference.As far as the cabin it has a small sink and full v-berth which is able to sleep 2 adults. The nice thing about a 23 footer is theres not much draft,your slip isn't that bad at about 100.00 a foot, and the gas on a single outboard is affordable.If you start getting into a 26 foot boat all of that goes up, and then your probably toying with 2 engines, which is great if you have a lot of money at over 3.00 a gallon on the water.Good luck
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

These guys gave great advice on the walkaround. And as Mboy said, 23 footer and a "decent distance offshore" is not a great idea until you have years of experience. Once you gain that experience you'll probably realize you'd be nuts to do it. A 26' boat might be more what you are looking for. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There is a Mako for sale by Capt Greg of the Golden Eagle. Looks like a real nice boat. A little bigger than a 23' but has a bunch of room. http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9012 The nice part about this boat is that it's turn key.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have a friend who wants to get rid of his 1988 23' Wellscraft w/ 225 Johnson 1991 walk around cuddy.... No trailer! $2000
Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Check the Parker series of boats. They make a good line. My buddy has a 25' with 225 on it which moves it pretty good also on a bracket. That boat has a ton of deck space and the cabin area is pretty good to. Be sure to look into the difference in the bottom of the boat though. His is not a deep "v" so it pounds in some seas but is very stable when not moving. On the other hand the deep "v" cuts the seas great but rocks when you are drifting. Many choices to make, Good Luck
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Year 2002
Make SEASWIRL
Model 2601 Striper
Price $35,250.00

Description 26' Seaswirl Striper, 250 yamaha saltwater series, 300 hrs, water fuel seperator, fuel monitoring system, outriggers, center rigger, arch w/ rocket launchers & spreader lights, undermount deck lights, Bimini w/ full enclosure, 6 gunwale mount rod holders, live well, saltwater wash, Raymarine A65 GPS AND FISHFINDER COMBO, Icom VHF, shore power & charger, enclosed head w/ deck pump out, Corian countertop, stainless sink w/ electric faucet, alcohol/electric cook top, epoxy barrier coated hull, always professionally maintained. great 4 speaker stereo system with amplifier, new enclosure in '08, new bilge pump in '08. Asking $35,250.00
Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The main (out of a few) problems I see with a 23' WA is the fact that his wife wants a cabin cruiser for her and the kids.

A Cabin in a 23' is basically useless for anything other then storing gear, concealing Porta potty or other small head and being marginally comfortable to sleep 2 people.

Having a wife and a couple of kids "hanging out" in the cabin for anything more then a few minutes will get old VERY fast.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you can spend a little more I agree with Mboy...a "cabin" in a 23' boat is on the smaller side. I have a 25' Grady White Dolphin Walk Around Cuddy Cabin and I can sleep two but there is not a whole lot of extra room. I have been to hell and back with her...great, solid boat all around.

I would try and buy a used 25' Grady White Sailfish...a nice size cabin, great fishing boat, safe boat and everyone is happy. Outboards...anything over
800 hrs watch out. Have them tested before you buy - and not just looking at the gearcase oil. Have a pressure test done, check the seals, cylinder light test etc.

Also...this is a great time to buy...a lot of deals out there.

I bought my Grady in North Carolina and had it shipped up...and I found it online back in 1997. The early days of online.

Good luck

Joe T.

Last edited by Tuna Tales; 04-03-2009 at 08:51 AM..