NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

F225 throttle help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default F225 throttle help

I have twin yamaha F225s that will not engage into reverse until the throttle is nearly all the way back (probably about 70 degrees from neutral) and when it finally does engage if I go a step further I'm going backwards at a pretty quick pace. It just started doing this at the beginning of this year.

Does anyone know what is causing this, I am assuming it has something to do with the throttle linkage (not sure of course) but have no idea how to fix it or even if I can?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: F225 throttle help

If it is happening to both motors at the same time, start with your throttle control at the helm. Some times with a cable system, the cable housing wears away and the cable keeper becomes lose and the entire cable moves and not just the inner part. This may cause a delay in direction engagement.

Also check where your shift cable splits to operate each motor. Not sure of the age of your motors but some of the factory Yami cables have a plastic/ resin spliter that moves the seperate cables together. Have seen these crack and cause shift problems.

I would start at the helm controls and trace back to the motors and make sure everything is tight and moves freely. Could be a binding problem while in reverse.

Unfortunately, with the little bit of info that you provided, it could be one of many different things. Hopefully this will give you a place to start.
Good luck and hope you find something simple and get back to fishing.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: F225 throttle help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy
If it is happening to both motors at the same time, start with your throttle control at the helm. Some times with a cable system, the cable housing wears away and the cable keeper becomes lose and the entire cable moves and not just the inner part. This may cause a delay in direction engagement.

Also check where your shift cable splits to operate each motor. Not sure of the age of your motors but some of the factory Yami cables have a plastic/ resin spliter that moves the seperate cables together. Have seen these crack and cause shift problems.

I would start at the helm controls and trace back to the motors and make sure everything is tight and moves freely. Could be a binding problem while in reverse.

Unfortunately, with the little bit of info that you provided, it could be one of many different things. Hopefully this will give you a place to start.
Good luck and hope you find something simple and get back to fishing.
Thanks Stumpy..I had a friend come by the boat last night and it looks like it is something at the throttle controls. The boat will go into reverse where it is supposed to but then it gets no gas at the engine until almost nearly wide open. He was not sure how to repair it so I will be scheduling the repair this week. Any reccommendations on a decent mobile mechanic?

Thanks again,
Mark