NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Shark River Bay Dredgeing survey - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Shark River Bay Dredgeing survey

well here is the map and where they got these depths i dont know - it is WAY, WAY SHALLOWER THEN THIS - AND STILL NO MARKERS SET - i guess they r waiting for the channel to get deeper - what a rip off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	107695  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Shark River Bay Dredgeing survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
well here is the map and where they got these depths i dont know - it is WAY, WAY SHALLOWER THEN THIS - AND STILL NO MARKERS SET - i guess they r waiting for the channel to get deeper - what a rip off
thats probably at high tide ( supposed to be at mean low tide). channel wont have any water in it at low, which pretty much matches pics that have been posted lately.
I would think that that survey would really open up the dredge company to fraud charges

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Member

came thru yesterday - 2.9 feet of water in channel - how can this be considered a finished job - what did they even do?????? - why did they get paid??? am i the only person that cares?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think I saw a survey boat at the launch ramp this morning. Hopefully the Army Corps will see that the project was not done properly and get it taken care of.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I just heard that the instillation of the permanent channel markers project is being put out for bid. Don't expect any movement on the instillation for a few weeks. The DOT did the dredging. The CG is responsible for the markers. Contact the two people whom I referenced in the Mud Buoy post or forever hold your peace.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you didn't read the Mud Buoy post, these are a couple of contacts who might shed some light on what's going on.

Susanne Cervenka scervenka@gannettnj.com Wrote the story about the dredging operation when there was a press conference about it. Contact her and ask her to do a follow up.

You can also direct questions to John Dempsey with the Shark River Coalition
john.dempseyiv@gmail.com

John just informed me about the placement of permanent channel markers and that the project is being put out for bid. He said that the project is about a month behind schedule. If anyone has any information about specific areas of the dredged channel that are not as deep as they should be, he would like to know about it. The Shark River Coalition is trying to do something about saving the integrity of the body of water.

Eric Doyle @ 732-255-0770 is someone who has the information about the channel marker placement. Call him if you want to ask questions about where and when the markers will be set.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have been bringing this up on here and Save Shark River facebook page. I use 3 different boats with three different GPS systems. All 3 show the channel way off from the new channel. The "new channel" is way off the old channel across from the gas dock. I went out Sunday and they have put in markers that now go south of the gas dock. YOU WILL GET STUCK IF YOU CUT THE CORNER. After the dredging the material has accumulated on the south side of the Island. The bottom is like a dirt bike track of whoop-de-doos. The North channel as you come into the bay has been moved west. The old piling is laying on the bottom and can be hit at low tide. I won't even get started on the depth and width which is less 40' across from the gas dock.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Run Hunter View Post
I have been bringing this up on here and Save Shark River facebook page. I use 3 different boats with three different GPS systems. All 3 show the channel way off from the new channel. The "new channel" is way off the old channel across from the gas dock. I went out Sunday and they have put in markers that now go south of the gas dock. YOU WILL GET STUCK IF YOU CUT THE CORNER. After the dredging the material has accumulated on the south side of the Island. The bottom is like a dirt bike track of whoop-de-doos. The North channel as you come into the bay has been moved west. The old piling is laying on the bottom and can be hit at low tide. I won't even get started on the depth and width which is less 40' across from the gas dock.
Contact the two people I mentioned in a prior reply. John Dempsey would like to see the channel first hand but his boat won't be going in for a few more weeks. Maybe someone can give him a ride.

Susan Cervenka from the Asbury Park Press wants to talk with boaters. Contact her.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I'm the Susanne with Asbury Park Press that Billfish715 mentioned. I've been told by DOT that the areas dredged are 5 to 6 feet deep at mean low tide. I'm looking to talk with boaters about what they're actually experiencing now. Are there places that are better/worse? If you could, please give me a call at my office: 732-643-4229 or email scervenka @ app (dot) com. TIA!
Old 05-01-2017, 04:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thank you Susanne for the follow up article. Maybe it will open some eyes on the project.