NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

great weekend on lake ontario - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default great weekend on lake ontario

gave the walleye's a rest this weekend{figures they caught them good} and head up to little sodus for some brown trout,or so we thought.we get up there
around 9:30 friday night and settle in.we get to the boat at 6:30am saturady
and off we went.capt says the brown fishing has been slow but the salmon fishing has been good.with that being said we figure we are going to take a ride
and everyone gets comfortable.we are running about 5 minutes when the engines start to come down??we look at each other and figure maybe a log or something but the captain say we are setting up here.we are less than a 1/2 mile from the inlet were we normally fish for the browns. we are in 25-35 ft of water and the captain is setting the lines.we troll for about 10 minutes and one of the reels starts screaming.my daughter in law was first up and after a short
bout the capt nets a nice brown.we are st up and trolling a short time when
another reel starts smoking.my son grabs the rod and the fight is on.this time
the fish is making long fast runs and after a good 10 minute fight the capt nets a nice 12lb king.it went on that way until we quit fishing at 2pm.we ended up with 6 kings,3 brown and a steelhead.we missed a few too.my 2-1/2 year old grand daughter got to reel in a nice brown with her dad's help.
sunday morning we left the dock at 5:30am and were only going to fish till
11am so we could get on the road early.we are set up and trolling at 6am
and two rods go off aright way.my son grabs one and i the other and after a little dancing around we land 2 nice kings in the 15lb range.we get set up and
not long after we have another fish on.my daughter in law get a reel nice king
about 20 or so lbs.we had crazy fishing and were boxed and headed in at 9:30am.i have fished up there since the late 70's but have never seen the kings so close or so big in the spring.everyone we caught fought was full of fight.we ended the trip with 10 kings from 15-23lbs and two nice steelheads.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: great weekend on lake ontario

That’s Awesome! Been meaning to get up there hopefully soon,
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 05-13-2019, 05:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I chartered up there out of Sodus Pt , we caught spring kings sporadically in my 16 years . In late seventies and early eighties we could get decent kings primarily west of the inlet . Ever had any consistent fishery , brown trout was king
However in those days I didn’t use DR’s to much in early season. , mostly boards n lead ,which produced many kings on given days , Nice to see more more kings mid lake !
Old 05-13-2019, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gotta love that Brown Trout action close to port. Pretty amazing stuff happens up there for sure. What an awesome way to spend a weekend! Gotta love family fishing time!!! Well done to you and the family!