NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New to a slip......advise needed - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-11-2018, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default New to a slip......advise needed

After years of trailering a 21cc, I am finally making the jump to a 28’ cc wa. I got slip 34 at frank’s pier at AH Marina. Looking for advise on what I’ll need with respect to bumpers; dock lines; spring lines.... length of lines; type etc.. I know it’s a learning experience but I want to be as prepared as possible on day one. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: New to a slip......advise needed

suggest you look at the regulars before you splash..

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was on Franks for years. For starters you need counter weights on pulleys attached to your two bow cleats. We used cinder blocks one one each side with galvanized chain through the blocs and attached to the 1/2 inch line run thru the stainless pulleys. Do it at low tide so you know the blocks are not on the bottom or suspended in the air. Now your boat is centered in the slip. We then ran a spring line from the cleat on the dock to another pulley on each piling and put a loop in the line at your mid hull cleats.This set will pull you back from the dock/ ladder to the distance your comfortable with while the bow is attached to the counter weights. The last set of lines are in the stern cris crossing your motors from the pilings to the stern cleats. Spend a day and a full tide cycle to make adjustments. Worked for us and many others for years. Your choice of counter weights can be anything from 45 lb weight lifting plates to concrete filled 6 inch pvc with an eye hook mounted in the concrete to a simple cinderblock. I replaced the blocks every 2 years and never had an issue.Sounds complicated but is a very quick and stable way to keep your boat safe. So it's 4 stainless 3/4 inch pulleys, 2 15 foot lengths of 1/2 inch line for the stern, and a long length of good 1/2 inch line probably roughly 150 feet when all is said and done. Cutting and burning the ends with each line made.
Feel free to pm me with any questions I can help you out if needed.

Sean

Last edited by Irish Jigger; 03-11-2018 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

After reading all this you should now see the advantage of floating docks.

Wait until you lower a cooler with a 100 lbs of ice down to the boat... aka PAIN IN THE ASS. And going back on the dock at low tide is just as bad.

Check out your slip and see how wide and tight it is. As well as how long. You'll find the hardest parts are keeping it in the middle of slip when not in use. Cant have it smashing into the boarding ladder. Can we? Now design it with your cleat location. How many and how long are the lines? And getting on it every time is an adventure. Get lines that are the biggest that will fit on your cleats.

The tow boats were on floating docks at our marinas. Great side boarding with finger docks. Now at Bakers you have to make the LEAP of FAITH going down a ladder with gear to get on it. Hoping the deck is not slick. And then later jump off it on to the slimy low tide ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Jigger View Post
Was on Franks for years. For starters you need counter weights on pulleys attached to your two bow cleats. We used cinder blocks one one each side with galvanized chain through the blocs and attached to the 1/2 inch line run thru the stainless pulleys. Do it at low tide so you know the blocks are not on the bottom or suspended in the air. Now your boat is centered in the slip. We then ran a spring line from the cleat on the dock to another pulley on each piling and put a loop in the line at your mid hull cleats.This set will pull you back from the dock/ ladder to the distance your comfortable with while the bow is attached to the counter weights. The last set of lines are in the stern cris crossing your motors from the pilings to the stern cleats. Spend a day and a full tide cycle to make adjustments. Worked for us and many others for years. Your choice of counter weights can be anything from 45 lb weight lifting plates to concrete filled 6 inch pvc with an eye hook mounted in the concrete to a simple cinderblock. I replaced the blocks every 2 years and never had an issue.Sounds complicated but is a very quick and stable way to keep your boat safe. So it's 4 stainless 3/4 inch pulleys, 2 15 foot lengths of 1/2 inch line for the stern, and a long length of good 1/2 inch line probably roughly 150 feet when all is said and done. Cutting and burning the ends with each line made.
Feel free to pm me with any questions I can help you out if needed.

Sean
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-14-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Old 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Oh I've been on a floater for a few years now Capt Frank. My days on hurricane row and climbing that ladder are long gone. I was on franks for years prior to Sandy slip 14 so I was tucked closer to the bulkhead and had no issues at all. I believe the Harbor now offers 30% discounts for anyone interested in Franks so it's budget friendly for first timer looking to go to a slip or anyone looking to save a few bucks and still be in a great location.

Last edited by Irish Jigger; 03-14-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I guess that's why it is available? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Jigger View Post
Oh I've been on a floater for a few years now Capt Frank. My days on hurricane row and climbing that ladder are long gone. I was on franks for years prior to Sandy slip 14 so I was tucked closer to the bulkhead and had no issues at all. I believe the Harbor now offers 30% discounts for anyone interested in Franks so it's budget friendly for first timer looking to go to a slip.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the much needed advise everyone!!! After taking it all in I called and switched over to a floating dock. Seemed like a lot of pressure for someone who is brand new to the slip game. Any special hints or advise you guys are willing to share regarding the floating dock? Thanks again!!!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Take a walk around the piers in the marina and find a boat with similar dimensions and cleat layout and go from there. Dock to the bow, piling to the stern and mid cleats and done. Just depends on if you are coming in bow first or stern. It’s 50/50 in Atlantic and I don’t like walking a plank to get on and off so I am bow in.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
After reading all this you should now see the advantage of floating docks.

Wait until you lower a cooler with a 100 lbs of ice down to the boat... aka PAIN IN THE ASS. And going back on the dock at low tide is just as bad.

Check out your slip and see how wide and tight it is. As well as how long. You'll find the hardest parts are keeping it in the middle of slip when not in use. Cant have it smashing into the boarding ladder. Can we? Now design it with your cleat location. How many and how long are the lines? And getting on it every time is an adventure. Get lines that are the biggest that will fit on your cleats.

The tow boats were on floating docks at our marinas. Great side boarding with finger docks. Now at Bakers you have to make the LEAP of FAITH going down a ladder with gear to get on it. Hoping the deck is not slick. And then later jump off it on to the slimy low tide ladder.
I couldn't agree more. Floating docks are well worth the extra coin. And remember, It can get pretty rolly in there on an East wind. I remember renting boats from Frank's back in the late 60's. Oh those good ol'e fluke days.
MirrorCraft 16 Tin Northport Troller Johnson 25