NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Anchor rope ? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-27-2016, 07:02 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Anchor rope ?

Hunter, i did see that as well with the garden hose and thanks you to as well
Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks Guys for your input
Old 10-28-2016, 09:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Never used chain on my grapple until one time had something on the wreck cut my 3/8 line and lost the grapple. Now I use a 4' piece of chain and it works fine.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Back to original question. The thickest line is NOT the best. A fluke style like Danforth or Fortress have limited holding power depending on ANCHOR SIZE, not boat length. So foolishly buying 3000 lb breaking strength line for an anchor that under the best conditions only gives you 500-600 pounds of holding power is a waste of money. And more importantly even if the line is free IT IS a WASTE OF SPACE in your relatively small anchor locker. Is 300 feet of 3/8" line in that anchor locker better than 150' of 5/8" line? Of course!

The chain helps you keep the shank of the anchor flat to bottom to maximize holding power of the flukes. As was pointed out, the more chain the less scope. Scope is ratio of line out to depth from tip of bow and down. 10:1 or 7:1 are Chapman's suggestions. BUT.... With enough chain you can go with 2 or 3:1. Now how good is that 300 feet of rode in a 120 feet of water? It works!

A great book on rigging a boat by Jamieson's says the chain should be 3/4 the length of your boat. SO a 20 foot should have 15 feet of chain.

With a wreck anchor you are snagging the wreck or trying to get it into a rock pile. Meaning in most cases, the line will run nearly straight up and down from boat to sea bottom. And as was pointed out, the wreck has rub points that will chafe that nylon line. So protect the first 10 feet of wreck anchor.

Lastly if you toss your anchor, make it a slightly controlled decent. I did free fall tuna fishing. The problem is the anchor flutters down and the chain sinks like a rock. meaning the chain hits the bottom first. Some time the chain will foul the flukes so they do not deploy correctly. Meaning you may have to pull that 600 feet of line BACK INTO THE BOAT to untangle the anchor. So.... put a little tension on the outgoing line to slow the decent so anchor lands first and the chain is straight out from it. NOT under it. LOL

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal427 View Post
Never used chain on my grapple until one time had something on the wreck cut my 3/8 line and lost the grapple. Now I use a 4' piece of chain and it works fine.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 10-28-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Old 10-31-2016, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you Captain Frank
Always try to tell people about deploying a wreck anchor....
NOT A BATMAN GRAPPLE.................