NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Optimax Outboards stink! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs down Optimax Outboards stink!

Well, at least mine does!

back in 2007 I repowered with a new 175 hp Mercury Optimax. Since then I have had many problems with the engine... I have had to replace 1 starter, 3 alternators, the oil reservoir and sensor, a coiler, fuel rail, and... A new power head in 2010 after only 2 1/2 seasons The trim assembily has also needed to be repaired 3 times in the last 5 seasons.

Thankfully, most of these problems occured while the engine was still under warranty but it still sucks that you spend over 10k on something new and have this many problems. To throw salt in the wound, Mercury has been very uncooperative and difficult. I had to fight with them to get the starter and first alternator. I was also told by my local dealer who installed the second power head there would be a 1 yr. warranty on it. However, after not hearing from Mercury for a month I called and was told that infact there would be NO warranty what so ever on the second powerhead. No recall or help with the trim assembily even though it's the same parts that keep wearing out... It just goes on and on

Anybody on this site have similar experiences?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Hydra-Sports-PFT

Default Re: Optimax Outboards stink!

Thanks for the post. Gotta wonder if its isolated or typical. I am looking around for another boat and have in my mind the Opti is a good engine. Maybe I need to look at more reports on the engine. Hope the issues are behind you and smooth sailing ahead.
Perry
Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Had a friend with twin 225 Opti's.... Very touchy motors. If I were looking for an outboard boat it would have Yahmaha or Suzuki 4 strokes on it. Etech would be something to consider too, although not sure I trust any of the new high pressure 2 stroke designs.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

We run Envinrude 2 strokes. The last two models years have been excellent in the 200hp range. The recent Yahamas have been decent too.

Older Envinrude 2003-07 Ficht were very problematic on the tow boats. And the older(not real old) Yahmahas were excellent too.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

We run Envinrude 2 strokes. The last two models years have been excellent in the 200ho range. The recent Yahamas have been decent too.

Older Envinrude 2003-07 Ficht were very problematic on the tow boats. And the older(not real old) Yahmahas were excellent too.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I also had problems with my mercury's. I had 250's on my Pro Line. One had a broken shaft, due to a manufactures defect, the other had electrical issues.
They were both under warranty + I had an extended warranty. The original warranty had not yet expired, And they tried to tell me it would be covered under the extended warranty. I finally got it straitened out.

It was a nightmare caused by the PP marina I purchaced the boat from and Mercury.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I had a 2001 225 optimax which I purshased brand new. In the first 3 years i went through 2 powerheads - both times I was told that it "sucked a reed valve" and scored the piston. Both times they only replaced the reed block that was bad instead of replacing all of them (4 or 6, I'm not sure). in 2006, It blew up again, same problemwith reed valve - Mercury would not warranty it this time - which I sort of understand - but it was a recurring problem.
Kicker is - they told me (when I was paying for it) that you should always replace all reed blocks with a new powerhead. After numerous phone calls and letters to Mercury - I got nowhere and had to pay for it - they will not get my hard earned money again.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm sorry to hear that some of you have had the same problems as me... I as well will NEVER, EVER, spend on another Merc again! The thing that really gets me is the first motor I owned, a 92 175 hp w/ carbs was bullit proof. That was a big factor in repowering with another merc which supposedly is an even better engine. Well, live and learn I guess.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Most manufacturers who rushed to get these new low emmission 2 stoke outboards to market had issues. Evenrude FICHT, Mercury Optimax and even Yamaha HDPI. Notice these lines are no longer available. Evenrude went from FICHT to Etech, Mercury from Optimax to Verado and Yamaha went to 4 stokes.

If I were buying a boat I would avoid any of those early models. There is a reason why you see boats powered with these engine are at what seems to be bargain prices.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

i have an etec, the thing is incredable