NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic river (by Berkeley Heights) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-12-2017, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Passaic river (by Berkeley Heights)

I've had eyes on this river before, ignored it until now. I'll be local to Berkeley Heights soon, and the river passes through pretty close to where I live.

Can I get any pointers on the river? I hear a lot about it,like the pike, but don't know much about the different sections, such as how it's different from the headwaters by the great swamp vs the section down by Chatham.

I appreciate the knowledge!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Passaic river (by Berkeley Heights)

Trout stocked section is very nice. Just like any other northern nj trout stream. Best fished wading the river. Access off river rd. Nice section with nice runs and pools.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I grew up fishing the Passaic in Berkeley Heights in the 80's, but have only been back there a few times since. Back then, the area that is now a park and canoe-launch was just a creepy swamp with an abandoned restaurant referred to as "the grove'.

There isn't much pike action there because the pike are stocked at least two dams downstream. A few pike do manage to wander that far upstream, but not many. There is a local guy that manages to find pike regularly back there between BH and the Lord Stirling Park (unfortunately he is a bucket-head and the pike go home with him).

The water up there gets very shallow in the summer. The bottom is soft and muddy. You'll take your life in your hands trying to wade it because the deep, soft mud can trap you.

The area doesn't lend itself well to kayaking because the narrow river is easily blocked by falling trees.

As a kid, I spent countless hours there fishing for carp in the summer. Fishing for carp in shallow water teaches you how to be stealthy and patient. Carp are very aware of what's happening on the bank and are easily spooked.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thank you all! The soft bottom is something I would have to find out the hard way.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I sent you a PM. Check your inbox