NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fish Finder use when deep jigging in lakes? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-20-2022, 11:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Fish Finder use when deep jigging in lakes?

I have 2 boats with a garmin color FF on each.. they are older units, a 250 C and a 350C... However they are each 500 watts RMS which should be sufficient power for how I fish even in this day of side scan, ultra definition etc...

My issue is this.. When jigging for lakers, I can see fish,and I can watch my jig no issues there, I can read bait, structure etc, very clearly.

However, most jiggers even 10-15 years ago with older sounding units would actually watch the fish approaching thier jigs, and watch the fish chase and hit the jig as it was racing upward... In real time.. YT is full of videos of guys doing that and some of those vids are pretty old, not using todays ultra high tech sounding gear,,, I CAN see the hits, and I see it clearly, but its all "after the fact"... I don't see the fish hitting the jig as it happens, only after I actually feel the hit... Am I doing something wrong with set up,, perhaps scrolling speed?.... The Garmins are easy to adjust, and I feel I am missing something as guys with less powerful, cheaper, black and white sonars are seeing their fish , lure, and bait in real time, while I see it 10 or more seconds after it happens.. I don't see "chasers", only fish that have chased and I wasn't aware of it at the time... any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-20-2022 at 11:08 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 11:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fish Finder use when deep jigging in lakes?

The hit you see has to be in real time. The hit you feel can only occur on a tight line. It all seems so odd. Are the fish holding on to the jig for ten seconds before you set the hook?
Old 01-20-2022, 11:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

No I don't think you understand.. There is a lag.. In other words, I can't watch on the screen what I am feeling on the rod,as others seem to be able to.

Example.. I will see a few fish on bottom.. Drop the jig and watch it fall.. I feel it hit bottom BEFORE I see it hit bottom on the screen..

Same with a hit,, I will be reeling up and whack, I get a hard hit.. In a few seconds, I will see the tracing of the fish that came up from the bottom and hit the jig seconds later... Others can anticipate that hit because they can actually see the chase as its happening .. I see it all as well, but only after I have felt the hit already, not as it happens.. Not sure if its scroll speed, but I seem to have something set improperly... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-20-2022 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

make sure your ping/scroll speed is turned all the way up
and remember it will also depend on the water depth you are in; the FF can ping faster in shallower water. it takes 10x as long for the sound to travel down and back in 200' as it does in 20'
Old 01-20-2022, 03:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
make sure your ping/scroll speed is turned all the way up
and remember it will also depend on the water depth you are in; the FF can ping faster in shallower water. it takes 10x as long for the sound to travel down and back in 200' as it does in 20'
So scroll speed is critical... I wasn't aware of that.. I think I keep the scroll set slower.. Typically I am jigging at around 70 feet, but am often in 90-100 as well.. depends on time of year and time of day...
Old 01-21-2022, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sorry, I did misunderstand.