NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The little "L" - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up The little "L"

I hit the river last week trying out some new techniques, decided to throw majority texas-rigged stuff instead of lil jigs. Immediately saw results in not hooking up with too many rock bass (some rock bass, and even lil sunnies, manage to get hooked still) But not long until nice smallies were getting hooked.

My usually spots weren't producing so well, and I decided to head upstream. This nice section, all shaded, and if you stared up river you'd see action on the top water every minute or so. However not deep at all and not much cover.

Probably just sunnies making that commotion I thought? nope SMACK! smallie on. Not picture worthy but right after SMACK another. I noticed how this section, which seemed completely un-fishy at first, was producing well because it was shaded while my other spots were all soaking the sun up during high noon. Good info. Just a bit up more I see a splosh on top. Again in the shade. Cast and another SMACK. And this chunky one is hooked. Funny since he jumps out of the water right by me and I catch him with my net. HE'S OUT!

I make it upstream more with lesser smallies, but fun is still being had. I come to a bend/hole in the river after a huge fallen tree and it reveals the sky full of storm clouds. I had to wrap up the hole I came up to and booked it once I heard thunder ought in the distance. Turns out it didn't rain for another hour... better safe than sorry.

Today I hit the river again with the same strategy, and aimed to go upriver more and hit that spot where I left off.

Typical smallie action again. Cloudy this time yet the holes at the beginning still weren't great like back in spring. But the bite seemed to be a lot better despite it. Started out with a lil large mouth on the bank then a lil smallie on a dropshot rig under the bridge. Here's some pics of some bass from both days.

So im back at that hole. Not much like last time but then it happens. Fish on, and it's pulling unlike anything today And then it jumps. HOLY MOLY biggest smallie ive seen in this river. Hook survives the glorious jump... but then the hook is thrown shortly after.

I probably spoke about 10 different swear words while re-casting around the hole before moving on and going back up river. I knew nothing was going to top that smallie but I knew there was more to catch.

I went all the way up to rockaway creek and hiked a bit up there until I saw some house/shed. The water here was pretty shallow. Yet still got two nice smallies. Not a lot of deep spots. Also spotted three tires there for those who are fishing for that species.

I headed back and tried the hole where I lost that big smallie again. I changed it up to a floating rapala this time. A few cast in and I hook up. Can this be my redemption? Is it the big smallie that threw the hook? Well... idk because it came off!

I keep working the hole with various lures until I get a lil smallie on a spinner.

Oh well, I headed downstream. I run into another angler who's been fishing tiny spinners and connecting with rock bass and smallies. Good chat about fishing. I give him a pointer on that big smallie thats lurking upstream. I hope he had better luck than me there. I wade down and toss t-rigged worms again. Right when im reeling back in, like 5 feet away from me. GIANT BASS STRIKES. It didnt hook well and it was off quicker than it attacked.

Wow, I start casting again. and BAM! Fish ON! And guess what? HOOK IS SET, YES. Landed this bad boy. MY PERSONAL BEST!

A wise NJ man that shouts on a Toyota sponsored boat once said... "NEVER GIVE UP!" and man it felt nice to see those words become reality.

Thanks for reading
Old 07-26-2017, 11:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: The little "L"

Ah, the elusive river largemouth....always feels good to catch despite adversities. Nice job man
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

way to persevere....congrats on the PB...

weird bruise on that fish...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
way to persevere....congrats on the PB...

weird bruise on that fish...
Yea. Plenty of eagles/hawks around the area from what ive noticed while fishing.

On topic of that saw a bird ive never seen before. Ive gone through most of the "list of birds of NJ" on wiki and ive yet to determine what it was. Some navy blue colored bird with a orange and somewhat long beak. I figured it was a sandpiper but I went through that whole list and found nothing close to it. Help is appreciated.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Have to scroll right to read text on image section, pic size?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
Have to scroll right to read text on image section, pic size?
I'll keep that in mind next time. My computer's resolution is large since I'm a computer geek, forgot how it'll look on a normal monitor.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Yea. Plenty of eagles/hawks around the area from what ive noticed while fishing.

On topic of that saw a bird ive never seen before. Ive gone through most of the "list of birds of NJ" on wiki and ive yet to determine what it was. Some navy blue colored bird with a orange and somewhat long beak. I figured it was a sandpiper but I went through that whole list and found nothing close to it. Help is appreciated.
Night Heron perhaps?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I'll keep that in mind next time. My computer's resolution is large since I'm a computer geek, forgot how it'll look on a normal monitor.
nothing normal about my monitor

http://www.njcomputerservice.com/index.html
Old 07-27-2017, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: The little "L"

Love when small water produces big fish !! Congrats on the PB !! Just ordered 140 bux worth of jigs too. Any problem with git hooking ?? Chompin' at the bit to try these Kietechs too !
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Possibly a night heron but it had much more vivid colors. Could have sworn a touch of orange around the belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Love when small water produces big fish !! Congrats on the PB !! Just ordered 140 bux worth of jigs too. Any problem with git hooking ?? Chompin' at the bit to try these Kietechs too !
Fortunately no gut hooks. I think I got the hand of t-rigging now. Been fishing them barbless too. That might be why some are coming off however... ill experiment.