NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New state record Muskie ? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: New state record Muskie ?

wow shes a fatty.
I was there on Sat and all i got were rocks, tree limbs, old fishing line, towels, and slight frostbite. me on 1 other boat fishing the whole day.

If i were to catch a potential state record i would absolutely try and keep it alive for the official measurements but i did not know they cut it open to check for stomach content. I would rather have the unofficial measurements and pictures vs my name on paper. then release it into wanaque res never to be seen again. thats my 2cents.
where is ther more info on this catch?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'd rather throw it back than kill the poor thing for ego or applause. I don't need it hanging on my wall either. It would just be a reminder of a really bad decision.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

A Musky with those exact dimensions was C&R this summer out of Small Craft Marina on the NJ side. I guess that fish wasn't so lucky this time!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwl2oneida View Post
Wondering how many gwl muskie are honestly landed on the nj side. Extremely shallow and doesn't seem to support too much life. The ny muskie record is 69lb. Please no one take this as an attack, that's a hell of an accomplishment no matter where it was caught. I'm just curious to know what people have caught on the nj side.
I can't speak for fish actually caught on the NJ side, but I saw by far the biggest freshwater fish (musky) of my life in Belcher Creek on the other side of GWL Turnpike. We were motoring out of it and I happened to look down in the water and see this torpedo. Immediately screamed for my dad to go back. We were able to find it again but by that time it was spooked. If it wasn't 50" it was damn close. Definitely will never forget it.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yea I gotta admit I've seen carp as big as humpback whales in Belchers Creek. However, so much of that south south seems void of all life, probably not deeper that 8'.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: New state record Muskie ?

Great catch , but very poor decesion to kill this fish needlessly !
Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

does it matter what side of the lake it was caught on? i though it just mattered where you launched your boat from as far as what state you're technically fishing under.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have seen him out on GWL last year. I would guess he launched from willow point thats the only one open right now. NY launch equals NY fish, and he was def fishing the NY side anyway. Thats an OLD FISH, shame to kill it but he prob thought he had a record, maybe it wouldnt revive after the long played out fight??
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I just think it's an odd situation to have an almost record fish come from a bi state lake, that's all.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwl2oneida View Post
I just think it's an odd situation to have an almost record fish come from a bi state lake, that's all.
A lot of bodies of water like that throughout the US...and some of them are huge and border more that 2 states. I'll bet cross border lakes givning up record fish isn't all that rare out side of our little state with it's "little" big lakes. Hell, if you catch a monster in Lake Erie...you got Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, or Canada to choose from! Just need a lot of gas to prove you could have been anywhere!