NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

$20M removal of 'highly contaminated mud' from Passaic River underway in Lyndhurst - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: $20M removal of 'highly contaminated mud' from Passaic River underway in Lyndhurst

I attended a presentation a few months ago put on by the Lower Passaic Cooperating Parties Group which is basically a planning group that was assembled by all the industries that the EPA is pointing their finger at to remediate the contamination of the 17 mile stretch from Dundee to Newark Bay. These guys did the whole cost/benefit talk and the plan they are shooting for is to attempt a shallow dredge and cap as compared to a total dredge and removal. Their angle was by proposing a dredge and cap, they would initially remove a substantial amount of hot materiel along the top layers of the bed, cap it with clean material and let then let the river deal with the deep/capped contaminates through "Natural Recovery" which they claim would reach the acceptable levels mandated by the EPA in about 50 years. They said that a total dredge would achieve the same level in 50 years and at a much, MUCH, higher cost. I have their power point presentation, I'll post it if i can figure out a way to scan it and get it on here.

Here's a list of parties involved with the LPCPG

http://lowerpr.com/parties.htm

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: $20M removal of 'highly contaminated mud' from Passaic River underway in Lyndhurst

I drove passed this area of river on my way to work this morning and tried to snap some 60mph photos of the barges, cleanup boats, crane, and debris barriers that are set up, but they came out like crap and are not worth posting lol. I will try to snap some after work and post them up. A buddy of mine launched his boat in Nutley the other day and talked to a guy from the cleanup crew. He said they were hoping the Lyndhurst project led to a larger scale cleanup.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I see this every day just south of the rt 3 bridge, huge floating dumpster the size of an Olympic pool, and huge scooper with very large tugboats! Thanks for filling in the blanks!