NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

'Po - 5/3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 'Po - 5/3

Hit the Ramapo for another attempt at the elusive fish they call "trout". Eluded once again by this amazingly evasive genus, I landed 5 sunnies on night crawlers. I probably fished the most over-fished section, but that is alright. I had a good time wading in my new boots/waders that I ordered online and had a fun time reeling something in for the first time this season!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 'Po - 5/3

dboy,

As a general rule of thumb trout like moving water and sunnies will try to find more pond-like non-moving water. Look for the faster moving water. Try to see where bubbles on the surface are moving in a line downstream. Thats where you want to try to drift your bait/lure. Look for deeper, moving water.

Walking 5 minutes up or downstream from overfished/very popular spots is usually a good idea.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the tips, baetis! I actually did walk downstream, but you are right. I was fishing slower moving pools. I felt that my bait was drifting too quickly in the current when I put it in the faster moving parts. I'll look to getting it down there better, perhaps with a heavier split shot. Thanks for the tips though! You knew exactly what I was doing without even being there!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

let me know when you want a tour of the Po. I don't burn my spots and just tell peeps where I fish, but I will be happy to fish WITH you there. Of coarse you must first sign a waiver of non-disclosure
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks, Steve! You know, I might be DONE w/the 'Po after seeing that 8lb (or maybe it's 10 now) beast!

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know if I'm heading out. Usually walk up and down from the Reserve parking lot.