NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Maiden Voyage on my first yak! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Maiden Voyage on my first yak!

My girlfriend is awesome and bought me a kayak for my birthday! I picked it up this evening and couldn't wait to get it in the water, so I didn't! I threw it on the civic and launched onto a calm part of the Passaic, real close to my house.

The water is pretty stained, but i could see lots of vegetation throughout the whole riverbed. I paddled upstream and the floated down a bank and threw some topwater baits, but there was no interest. I didn't have too much time before dark, so I switched to a black and blue ned rig. If you're not using the ned rig, WHY??? It always works. I paddled to the other side of an island where the current was very slow and managed a decent crappie and smallmouth.

The kayak, a Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100, handled awesome. I'm going to make some upgrades and add some features, but what it came with is pretty great.

Now that I have this I'm really excited to be able to explore some bigger bodies of water! I've kayak fished RVR and done pretty well so I'll probably go back to try and get a laker, but I'm looking to find some new kayak friendly water to fish too. If you have any recommendations I'd appreciate them!

Hope you all enjoy the weekend before the rain this week! Looks like a gross one ahead. Tight lines!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	125731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3100.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	125732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094 2.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	125733  
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Maiden Voyage on my first yak!

Awesome gift! I wouldn't float in rvr without a life jacket, I'd get thalassophobia real quick.

Nice fish. Maybe try the DnR canal? Real easy to paddle around there since no current.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Maiden Voyage on my first yak!

Awesome birthday gift! You christened the vessel with fish on the first trip? That means it’s meant to be. Explore til you can’t explore anymore dude!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's a great birthday gift. Gaining the ability to leave the shoreline feels like growing wings.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awesome man! Like Eddie said, explore! Literally endless possibilities for fishing spots with a kayak.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Congrats on the new yak!! Couple decent fish to keep the skunk away from the maiden voyage.

Pretty sure I know that spot being that I'm also located very nearby. Prob see you around there sometime, or we could meet up see what's lurking around........
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice gift, sounds like the girlfriend is a keeper.

Tilcon lake is a nice place to kayak on and you might even get into a landlocked salmon.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

congrats on the new yak you did well on the first trip. you might try splitrock or the rockaway river.. the cong is a bit crazy this time of year if you have a battery operated stern light then you might try the night bite action. where ever you go you should always have a pfd on or with you good luck and be safe
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Congrats on the first yak! I got one 2 years ago and it has really made a world of a difference. Way to get some fish in the boat on your first outing.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Some suggestions for places to try your boat. Green Turtle Pond, Splitrock Reservoir, Ryker Lake, Monksville, Ramapo River and Pompton River.

This map should give you a boatload of ideas about where to put your kayak in for some fishing https://paddling.com/paddle/locations/