NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

In Search of Wild NJ Trout - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-23-2018, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: In Search of Wild NJ Trout

Sweet. What was the hot fly? What rod and line weight you fishing for that small water?

I went chasing wild browns late last week in the cloudy water. The few I had on popped off, the 15 or so fall fish of course stayed buttoned up.

Going to chase wild brookies this weekend so long as the night time lows hold in the 50's.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
Sweet. What was the hot fly? What rod and line weight you fishing for that small water?

I went chasing wild browns late last week in the cloudy water. The few I had on popped off, the 15 or so fall fish of course stayed buttoned up.

Going to chase wild brookies this weekend so long as the night time lows hold in the 50's.
All were caught on the good old pheasant tail nymph.

I'm still looking to get a light weight setup for fishing these small stream. I'm thinking of getting a 2 or 3 wt rod but I haven't decided if I want to go short or long. Short would be great in the tight spaces, but a long rod would allow me to reach the pocket water to nymph without getting too close and spooking the fish.

I used my Sage 9' 5 wt, it was overkill but basically I was only casting a few feet of fly line, and then the leader and tippet.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Beauties man! Congrats on the living gems!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
All were caught on the good old pheasant tail nymph.

I'm still looking to get a light weight setup for fishing these small stream. I'm thinking of getting a 2 or 3 wt rod but I haven't decided if I want to go short or long. Short would be great in the tight spaces, but a long rod would allow me to reach the pocket water to nymph without getting too close and spooking the fish.

I used my Sage 9' 5 wt, it was overkill but basically I was only casting a few feet of fly line, and then the leader and tippet.
You might want to consider glass. I have an old 7' Fenwick glass rod that's a trip on small streams. It's a 5wt but if you underline the rod it'll speed up the casting action. Even with a 5wt line it doesn't feel like overkill where a 5wt graphite fast action totally would. Same applies to bamboo but with larger price tags.

PT's are just flat great flies.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

That 7' Fenwick is a perfect rod for that and one of the best rods made, I own several as well as all the good Fenwicks. They are now all I use, I stopped using graphite as well as my bamboos.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
You might want to consider glass. I have an old 7' Fenwick glass rod that's a trip on small streams. It's a 5wt but if you underline the rod it'll speed up the casting action. Even with a 5wt line it doesn't feel like overkill where a 5wt graphite fast action totally would. Same applies to bamboo but with larger price tags.

PT's are just flat great flies.
Thanks for the info.
I've been keeping my eyes out for a good deal on a rod. If you see anything let me know.