NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

cogh, sniffle, sneeze - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-24-2015, 09:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default cogh, sniffle, sneeze

Boat started with a little cough when at idle, never bogges down and stalls and it goes away when running. I havent really run boat in 1.5 years other then back and forth to slips and just letting motor idle. Fuel is stabilized but sounds like one of the jets in carb may be a little clogged. I have cleaned carbs before on small engines so figured I could do it. As I research it, it sounds as there could be two Carbs on motor. Is this true? Are they independednt from each other, like one on starboard cylinders and one on Port cylinders? Do i need special tools other then basic thin wire for jets, screwdriver, carb cleaner, and compressed air? Is taking carbs off and cleaning over kill for a slight cough that resolves when at higher RPM? should i just put sea foam in a in a gal of fuel and hook fuel line to seafoam gas and run boat at ideal while sea foam runs through?

As a side noted i am going to run compression test prior to doing anything with carb to be sure the problem isnt larger then appears?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: cogh, sniffle, sneeze

First thing I would do is eliminate any issues with the fuel system components on your boat and run it with fresh fuel out of spare tank directly into your engine. If that solves your issues then it's either the fuel you have in you tank or one of fuel components between the engine and the fuel tank.

If this does not solve your issue then you will need to dig deeper.

Yes, outboards, especially the higher horsepower ones hav multiple carbs. I have never rebuilt the but so can't comment on the difficulty. Let us know the make, model, horsepower and year of your engine and maybe someone can be of more assistance.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

1996 merc offshore 225
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

hookset your sure u werent using my boat!! lol same motor same frigging problem , but now mine it is alot worse , it will get a burst then bog , then a couple quick burst then bog ....i ran with hood off an seemed a little better but still boggig and bursting ....i squeezed primer ball and got a little more fuel delivered and seemed to be only alittle bit better im at the end of my rope here i replaced alot of stuff and ready to just unbolt it and kick it off the back of the boat ....when it runs good it runs good but when it runs like ,a turd its diarea the only difference is mine is the efi model ,

Last edited by Bass_Appeal; 05-25-2015 at 08:52 PM..
Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hahahaha got to love it!! I want to sell mine but done want to sell a lemon! Trying to figure it out is making me a little crazy! Plan to spend a few hours today with her to see what I can find! I am sure there will be a surprise at every turn!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

mine always seems fine on land its when u put it under a load and thats when u see all the problems
Old 05-27-2015, 06:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I did the compression test yesterday and it ok! 100 psi in all 6 cylinders plugs all looked in good shape! Started boat up after test had a little cough while warming up so I gave her some throttle and usual it clears right up! Next will be clean fuel from a can
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

hook , check heres a couple things to check , the if you have a sensor on the fly wheel , look at the teeth of the wheel that the sensor counts to tell the timing . sometimes the paint chips and it throws off the sensor you may need to file it down to be even on all teeth . also check the coil packs and make sure each one is working properly , the best I can tell you is the coughing and sneezing are misses , when firing more throttle you give better spark thus more fuel being burned instead of dumped .
Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Hi...we fix outboards all day long. Call us if we can help you out.

Freddie
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

os-

what do you charge to hook up a computer and give a basic read hrs , faults , ect