NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat Trailer reccos.... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Boat Trailer reccos....

My trailer is coming up on 20 yrs old. Next year I have a few trips planned where I'll be hauling north and south a few hundred miles.

Debating on whether to refurbish what I have or go new? If I keep what I have I'm looking at rollers, some weld work, brakes etc. which I'll do myself.

Looking for advice on where to look and who's used any local trailer shops.

BTW...stupid question but would my trailer have any kind of trade in/resale value even if it needs work?

Thanks boys

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Boat Trailer reccos....

IMO I would go with a new trailer. If hauling hundreds of miles, possibly at highway speeds (as I sometimes do) the peace of mind you will get alone is worth the expense. Save yourself the work, expense and aggravation of repairs and know that you got 20 good years from the old one so I would say that's pretty damn good!
BTW how have your leaf springs held up over the years? At what point (if you did) were they replaced? Will have to do mine eventually...

2014 Sea Hunt Triton 210 CC

Club CRE Member: Catch, Release, Exaggerate

The difference between genius and stupidity?
Genius has it's limits.

TYMADRIP
Old 10-21-2019, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I had the same time line. I had a rare 1982 Highlander trailer that jack knifed if you pulled a pin and the stern would hinge downward. Great feature at shitty low water ramps. Couldn't find anything like it. I had new axle, new leaf springs, bearingbuddies, new tires, multiple light sets, new wiring too, bunks resurfaced. But frame was still old. Patch it with a welder where needed. dozen and dozens of 100+ mile trips.

Any way in 2007 on the way home north over the Raritan river on Rte 9, the frame snapped. cracked just forward of right front tire. With the front bunk support drooping the boat came down laying on the trailer tire fender and locked up right side trailer tire. The drag and smoke was a give away. There stopped I stopped on the rise before the northbound crest on the Rte 9 bridge. Did you know the Woodbridge cops handle that side of the bridge too? LOL

Needed a flat bed for the boat and trailer to get home. From there it turns into nightmare.

Buy a new one- peace of mind! Since 2008 I've trailered same boat and bigger motor to shore over 100 times. But to Cobb Island MD on the Chesepeake 2019 (4hours) and to Cape Hatteras (10 hours) in 2018.

ITS PEACE OF MIND. The old trailer is suz-all material. And a pain in the ass to unload. DO IT!!!
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 10-21-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Leaning towards new at this point....now to find a dealer...

Rock, I don’t have leafs, it’s a torsion axle setup which are original.

After every few launches I’d hit the trailer with LPC #3 and it’s done a great job of keeping corrosion away. Time has caught up tho and it needs tlc.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Check out Camp Marine in Pt. Pleasant Beach. I bought a double axle Load Rite there for my 22' CC and was very happy. They've also done service for me in the past and I've been pleased with their work.