NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed??? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed???

Well it's that time of year again! The Trout are waiting for us! I was up at the Pequest 3 weeks ago or so and that place was still loaded up with big stockies from the fall stocking! Managed 1 wild Brown that day as well! Real pretty fish! It's go time Saturday morning at 8 am! YEA BUDDY!!!

Myself and a few buddies will be starting at the clean, pristine and picturesque Pohatcong creek! If you don't have anywhere to go or your not sure where to go PM me for the gps coordinates and c'mon down! This is an open invite for anyone interested in catching some Trout and having a good time! I'll be out there bright and early with my son Chase "CHASEPAIN"! Keeping the tradition going for years and years to come. It's part of my life and I can't get enough of the outdoors! Passing this tradition down to my kids makes me a proud dad! Proud to be American! Proud to have this freedom! Proud of the fine people at NJF&G for keeping this tradition alive and well in this beautiful small state! On that note............WHERE's EVERYONE HEADED FOR THE OPENER???

Let's get out there, have some fun and catch some fish guys and gals! See you out there!!!

TIGHT LINEZ!!!!
R.R.A.A.A.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed???

This will be my first time fishing trout. I'm either going with a friend to I think he said Hackettstown or I'm just gonna show up at the local pond that is stocked at 7am and see if there's a spot left. I don't know how busy it gets with so many different areas being stocked.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The last couple of years I've been down in Florida for opening day. Last year I went down to Florida twice and couldn't make the financial stretch to be back in Florida again in time for April.

Unless somebody has a better idea, I'll probably to Seeley's Pond in Union County because it's the place I've always gone on opening day since I was old enough to drive.

The issue with that pond is some years the local "pescadores" poach all the trout before opening day. On those years, most of the people fishing there end up getting the skunk.

I really don't give a shit though. I prefer fishing for bass. Any trout from a put-and-take pond are just a bonus. It just pisses me off to get up early on a Saturday and not catch anything. I could stay home and not catch anything.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Opening Day Trout! Where ya headed???

Duke Island Park, Raritan ribber !! Kawfee and donuts are on me
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Don't like crowds. Got access to a private pond with about 75 rainbows @ 14 to 15 inches stocked in Nov. of 2015 waiting for my friend, myself, and the owner. What a nice way to spend the day. Good fishing to you ladies and gentleman of this forum.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I lI've so close to Pohatcong Creek and have never fished it. Don't know why.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Either Amwell lake or Oxford furnace.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Considering either the Musconetcong River or taking the boat out on Aeroflex.

Slight chance of getting to go on a private lake with a friend, which might offer my best chances.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

We go for walks around the pond every couple days when it's warm. I saw people fishing last week supposedly for bass didn't see any buckets or stringers but you make a good point. The "poachers" are probably there super early/late. I wonder how many summons or finds fish and game write the last 2 weeks of March.

P.s... Have you seen the weather for next Sunday? High of 35? Maybe wear the black fishing gear!

Last edited by RussH; 04-03-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have been walking my dog along the Rahway in Cranford and Nomahegan Lake the every night the past week armed with a flashlight instead of my pole and have found a few spots just filled with trout. Unfortunately opening day also happens to be my wife's birthday (which she tends to make a big deal about) so I will only have an hour or two in the morning to use all the Intel I have been gathering. I Will probably hit one spot on Nomahegan hoping for one of those breeders and another on the Rahway (Cranford south side). If anyone local is interested in where I have been seeing the most trout shoot me a PM happy to share.