NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wading traction? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-03-2018, 11:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Wading traction?

I see a lot of options to add traction, and Id like something I can apply to both my sandals which I use for wet wading and my bootfoot waders.

I see those screws, especially the ones meant for ice racing, are good. But also like those strap and chain-like ones as I can take them off easily.

I appreciate any advice. Especially on installation about those screws. Can use them with bootfoot waders right? the screws wont put a leak in the boots?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wading traction?

Installing studs on bootfoots can cause leaks in less quality models . You should always ask that before purchasing . Some better bootfoots will have predetermined areas to install studs , if they don’t beware , studs may penetrate bootfoot , causing leaks
Cleats over the bootfoot products work well but. Can be less flexible so more tiring if you walk a lot in stream . That being said I prefer those but one caveat’ buy decent quality or they will not hold up to rugged use .
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

really you probably want boots designed for cleats or screws to do it right. they have a plastic layer sandwiched in the rubber that holds the fasteners so they don't rip out. i had the same set of cleats in my simms for about 2 years before i lost one and the traction is fantastic.

if you want to give it a go with your sandals try hex head 1/2" sheet metal screws. i would not try it on bootfoot waders unless they were designed for it.

for the strap on things you are talking about yaktrax or kahtoolas or something? i've used both on the ice (prefer the kahtoolas)... i don't think they would do the job with wading... too much sideways force. they're really just designed to keep your feet from going out from under you, probably would be ok on flats but with cleats/screws you can scramble over pretty much anything.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

for sandals or wading boots its fine to add screws, the waterproofing is going to be covered by the waders, not the boots. I wouldn't advise adding screws to bootfoot waders though, that's just asking for trouble.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks all. I'll probably try screws on my sandals, but then slip-overs on my bootfoot waders. Any recommended slip overs? I see some online I can get for cheap and try out how they perform.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:14 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

You buy cheap you get cheap. I have a pair of boots that I bought over twentyfive years ago at Ramsey outdoor for $99 with felt and spikes for fishing the SR. I have used them on the rock wall in the salt.the eyelets are rusty but the boots are STILL useable today! Does anyone know if felt soles are banned on SR and or the upper West Branch Delaware? Thanks
BTW keep an eye out for Cabelas they have good sales or if you ever get the chance to go to the store go see what they have at the Bargin Cave.
Hope this helps out and good luck!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfishhead View Post
You buy cheap you get cheap. I have a pair of boots that I bought over twentyfive years ago at Ramsey outdoor for $99 with felt and spikes for fishing the SR. I have used them on the rock wall in the salt.the eyelets are rusty but the boots are STILL useable today! Does anyone know if felt soles are banned on SR and or the upper West Branch Delaware? Thanks
BTW keep an eye out for Cabelas they have good sales or if you ever get the chance to go to the store go see what they have at the Bargin Cave.
Hope this helps out and good luck!
I totally agree with this post, you get what you pay for. I bought a pair of Cabelas wading boots and they are probably the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. The only issue is that they must not have that rigid piece in the tread for the studs to screw into. I have lost so many studs its not even funny.

If I was to buy new boots I would go with the Orvis Encounter boot. I bought them for my son and he loves them. They are reasonably priced, great quality, and the studs haven't fallen out!!!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
I totally agree with this post, you get what you pay for. I bought a pair of Cabelas wading boots and they are probably the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. The only issue is that they must not have that rigid piece in the tread for the studs to screw into. I have lost so many studs its not even funny.

If I was to buy new boots I would go with the Orvis Encounter boot. I bought them for my son and he loves them. They are reasonably priced, great quality, and the studs haven't fallen out!!!
I have had chotas for years and they are still like new, pricey but worth every penny!
Old 09-06-2018, 05:48 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalinerush View Post
I have had chotas for years and they are still like new, pricey but worth every penny!
I second the Chotas for durability and comfort. You get what you pay for.