NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Midnight yakkin' - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Midnight yakkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Great fish!

I just ordered a 360 degree light for my yak to help avoid peak madness hours on weekends and get more quality time on the water.
My kayak has probably seen the last of the big lakes until after Labor Day. 9.9 and electric only lakes for the summer.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

if it rains you can go haha or you'll be ok on SR too.

nice night in the yak anyway some real nice fish on topwater always a plus!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Great fish!

I just ordered a 360 degree light for my yak to help avoid peak madness hours on weekends and get more quality time on the water.
What light did you go with?
Never done any night kayak fishing...yet.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

nice fish dude
man i really miss kayak fishing at night, haven't been out for that in years
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I can see advantage of night fishing, I just hate the mosquitoes. And I don't want to get eaten by a bear.

Some waterways are crazy in the daytime. This weekend I had to pull out my Storm whistle and blow it at some rental boats. There were three boats with about six amigos in each of them following each other close to the shoreline. When they got within 40 yards of me I couldn't tell if they all could see me or if I was about to get run over. I pulled out my whistle and gave them two loud toots. They all passed by within 20 yards of me. Way too close.

If any kayaker doesn't own a Storm whistle or something similar, I highly recommend buying one. They're loud as hell.
http://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-Wh...+storm+whistle

Last edited by Eskimo; 05-31-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 05-31-2016, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

nice job
Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

nice catches even a smallmouth. with a crappie and a white perch it would have been a grand slam on the bass great job.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
nice catches even a smallmouth. with a crappie and a white perch it would have been a grand slam on the bass great job.
??????
Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

I can see advantage of night fishing, I just hate the mosquitoes. And I don't want to get eaten by a bear.

Some waterways are crazy in the daytime. This weekend I had to pull out my Storm whistle and blow it at some rental boats. There were three boats with about six amigos in each of them following each other close to the shoreline. When they got within 40 yards of me I couldn't tell if they all could see me or if I was about to get run over. I pulled out my whistle and gave them two loud toots. They all passed by within 20 yards of me. Way too close.

If any kayaker doesn't own a Storm whistle or something similar, I highly recommend buying one. They're loud as hell.

Ahh come on, it's not that scary! Bugs aren't an issue if you have a red light on your headlamp. The only thing that "scares" me out there at night are drunken boaters and tail-slapping beavers lol. Hundreds of night trips and only 1 Bear encounter to speak of. Paddling back to my truck one spring night on LH, I had a Bear blocking me from entering the small backcove where I launched the yak. My yelling, clapping and paddle slapping had no affect on it, it just stood there in the water for what felt like an eternity, until a loud Honda Civic drove passed and spooked him.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-01-2016, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

I just got my first yak last week and took it out on Rahway River last night paddling from Sperry Park in Cranford all the way to the deep pool just north of Boulevard in Kenilworth (next time I am going to launch there and see if I can paddle up to where the river goes under Rt. 22). I have always loved night fishing but I honestly don't think I will ever go back to beating the banks, at least not at night. Being in a boat I can access areas I never could before and I also don't need to worry about the suprisingly aggressive raccoons that feast on crawfish along the river banks (not to mention the comfort of always Having a cold beer within arms reach).

From my kayak last night I must have seen at least 30 raccoons. I also saw 5-6 foxes and a couple of muskrats. It seems like after midnight the river banks essentially become a buffet for the wildlife.