NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout stocking by the numbers: - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trout stocking by the numbers:

I prefer trout in the fall/winter than spring. It would be cool if they shifted some resources from spring towards fall stockings, although I know this is unlikely with how popular spring trout fishing is.

Im surprised at how many trout production waters get stockings, but we've seen a few already get removed recently so this might continue.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Theres no such thing as a waste of trout. It's all put and take aside from restricted rivers/streams. Just like the big fish stocked in RVR by RVTA--very few get released.

Those that do survive in the mainstem of RR can grow large. More forage and diversity of forage there versus most water bodies in NJ.

And maybe, just maybe--some hit the salt and return all shiny and chrome lol.
Yeah right 😆 Someone that wants to catch a trout... isn’t gonna go to look ya main stem, so many better places it’s a waste lol
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 03-07-2019, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
This spring the Spruce Run Creek will get 3,210 trout while the main stem of the Raritan river will get 3,390 trout stocked.
Sorry, I don't get it

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/trtinfo_spring19.htm
CONSPIRACY! I bet the Russians are behind it....
Old 03-07-2019, 02:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
CONSPIRACY! I bet the Russians are behind it....

Da comrade,

On a side note we did receive a major contribution to our buckets from Gannets United.

Andre
Old 03-07-2019, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you want to get angry about numbers, look at the musconetcong. 51,000 trout? Really? There are only a few other bodies of water getting over 20,000, they should spread the wealth there imo. Take 10-15k out of the musky and disperse them elsewhere. I get the musky is a popular river but aren't there a lot of clubs on it? Doesn't seem like it should be the river to get the most trout.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
If you want to get angry about numbers, look at the musconetcong. 51,000 trout? Really? There are only a few other bodies of water getting over 20,000, they should spread the wealth there imo. Take 10-15k out of the musky and disperse them elsewhere. I get the musky is a popular river but aren't there a lot of clubs on it? Doesn't seem like it should be the river to get the most trout.
It (and the Pequest) probably have the most public water. The upper Musky is pretty much all accessible from Waterloo down through where Rt 57 parallels it. The lower river I think has many of the clubs, not sure as I don't know that section as well. Don't ask me to explain their distro formula, I'm sure its all convoluted. Hell the Rahway river (and I use that term very loosely) gets 11,970!
Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I just like catching the ones that hold over so I have something to do in the fall.
Andy, Have you caught any "holdover" brown trout in the Raritan from the load that was stocked a few years ago when the hatchery was disposing of the infected fish? Quite a few were dumped into the Raritan and Rahway Rivers to name a few. What ever became of them? Stocking quotas have more to do with angler access and pressure than about holdover potential of the waterbody. Trout are stocked so that trout can be caught, as you know.

I do agree that sections of the Raritan have holdover possibilites but, yet, of all of the trout stocked, not too many seem to holdover. The Raritan is just not as hospitable to holdover possibilities as is the upper Delaware where monster browns and rainbows flourish and grow to enormous sizes. Limestone versus shale river bottoms might make a difference as does the constant river temperatures produced by regular water discharges from the reservoirs.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
This spring the Spruce Run Creek will get 3,210 trout while the main stem of the Raritan river will get 3,390 trout stocked.
Sorry, I don't get it

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/trtinfo_spring19.htm
Broken record keeps skipping,........skipping,......skipping,....same as it ever was,.....
Old 03-07-2019, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Trout stocking by the numbers:

A few Brown Trout were encountered after the stocking in the lower Raritan. I know FazzEddie had a run in with a few. About 2 years after the Brown Trout stocking I had a woman contact me and F&W because she saw a large Brown Trout being retained in South Bound Brook during the normal closed season for most streams, around late March. She is a fly fisher person and knows her fish well but did not know that there was no closed season for trout on the lower section of the river. She said it was a very large healthy fish. There were scatted reports, but nothing confirmed.
A fall on the Raritan river with "normal" flows like a few years ago was lights out for the "holdover" trout. This past fall was a bust as it never stopped raining. Use the search bar at the top of the page and type in Raritan river and you will see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rrrbrowntrt.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	131400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5458.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	131402  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rrt15.jpg (8.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

When I go to the Raritan River main stem, I go there to catch smallies, or walleye, or stripers. I'm not going to make the trip there to catch the same stocked trout that are thrown into every other goose-toilet pond from Weehawken to Wildwood. It'd suit me just fine if the main stem never saw a stocking truck again.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube