NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Roofing company needed and question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Question Roofing company needed and question

20 year old house and think I am close to needing a new roof.

Question--can you roof over an exiting roof (only original roof, one existing layer)? Are there any factors where this is not recommended even if only one existing layer?

Any recommendations for a roofing company? I am in Monmouth County

Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Roofing company needed and question

Most places allow a second layer. Have the roofer check to see what kind of ice guard you have, and if you have a full ridge vent.
The only thing saved is a few hundred coins going over it.
Good Luck

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Roofing company needed and question

Installing a roof over an existing roof is pretty standard practice. The only thing you need to make sure of is you have no leaks to begin with. If you do have leaks you may need to tear the old roof off, replace repair and seal any flashing around vents and chimneys to stop the leaks and replace any rotted wood.

If your current roof does not have them, you also want to make sure you have either a ridge vent or roof fans and vents installed which will add to the life of your roof. That is pretty standard practice now and most companies will not warranty the roof with out them.

A few other reccomendations.
- Labor is probably the most expensive part of the job so it might make sense to spend a few more bucks on better shingles, 30 instead of 25 year, especially if you intend to stay in the house for a while.
- A lot of fly by night roofing companies out there. Make sure and choose one that has been around for a while and has a good standing with the Better Business Bureau. Personal reccomendations from people in your neihborhood is always a good source to find a reputable, local roofer.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-03-2015 at 04:58 PM..
Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Gerry. Recommendations for reputable companies actively sought.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go with Penyak. Guy does 2 roofs a day with a 12-16 man crew. Took 2 sets of shingles off, replaced 4 sheets of plywood, paper and shingled in 4 hours. You'll find it tough to find a better price than him either.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Work in construction co. And use many good subs, if you need #s for a few quotes let me know, I have quality guys,quick guys,and cheap guys... Loads of them... Email or call me...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 01-07-2015, 12:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you can legally go over a single layer, but you should only do so on a simple roof w 3 tab shingles. 95% of leaks on roofs are flashing related, the other 4% is valleys/hips/edges not done correctly. Im a GC and as said before there are quality guys, fast guys, and cheap guys. Straight gables w a chimney or without is the easy jobs I send the cheap guys on, otherwise u can still use a discount crew or whomever, I just make sure to flash or instruct the complex/important areas myself. IMO tearing off is better its about a grand more on the overall on average roof, but you can install ice shield and have some good insurance. I often wrap the whole outside edge and all critical areas with Grace ice+water shield, I love the stuff and people nowadays are willing to pay a little more for piece of mind and the safety of it