NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hybrid M+G 10/26 on LH - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Hybrid M+G 10/26 on LH

Its official, and due to the response from the site the event will be held on October 26th a Sunday. This will allow fisherman to use both jigs and herring available from dows. Any details PM me or Getanet

Place to meet is Lee's County Marina on howard boulevard.
Time is Sunrise, we all wanna get an early start, usually everyone is BS'ing with eachother as were launching boats and you will see a mix of guys on the usual spots/points

If you cant make it early feel free to come later on. I will prefish the day before and make photocopied maps of where I find schools and their spots, the fish will still be there the next day. I will also post info and rigs and what worked later Saturday for everyone. I and others will be taking a lunch break at the Market which is on the left side heading into brady bridge from the main lake. You can drive boat up and tie up and they have good food

Please keep this thread clean for a while, so I can post up details and tactics/rigs for everyone and to also help the newbies, there will be lots of members that have never fished for them before.

We encourage guys w boats that have room to post up availability, keep it mostly thru PMs tho. Its a good way to meet fellow members and guys who fish, we always have fun at the M+G's.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hybrid M+G 10/26 on LH

So guys can get an idea of what to use and what they need......

There is no limit of rods per person, but I use 2 rods for live bait and one rod for jiggin. If im in my boat by myself I often fish 4 rods, one on each corner, and run 2 higher than the 2 others. basically in fall these are the best methods and a downline method that involves special gear

1. Fish finder rig http://ultimatefishingsite.net/fish-finder-rig/

Use a 1/2 - 3/4 oz egg sinker on your mainline then tie on a barrel swivel, some use a bead, I generally dont, then tie on your leader, I use 10-14lb floro then to ur hook. My preferred hook is a mosquito owner hook size 2 or 1. I like to hook my herring thru the nostrils sideways or thru the mouth out between the eyes a little forward. This is probably the best all around method year round, especially if the fish are slightly off the bottom or higher when chasing baitballs. *some guys like to use strike guards with their drags set very loose to hear a fish run off. Be careful if this is you, the stripers swallow herring fast and will gut hook easily this way, u will then have to cut ur leader and leave hook in the fish. Strike guards are fine just tend to your rods. I prefer to use baitrunners when fishing this way w a lighter egg sinker*

2. 3-way rig http://www.learninghowtofish.com/med...ayrigwhite.jpg

I use this rig in the fall/winter, and its best when u actually hold it in your hand to feel the bites, the fish cannot run too far with this rig in a holder as they will let go when they feel the weight. I use 3/4 - 1oz ball sinker with a 1-2ft dropper, and I prefer TRUTURN swivels, but reg ones work too. The leader off 3way is 10-14 floro about 3 ft long to a mosquito owner hook size 1 hooked same way as the above fishfinder rig. This is a great fall/winter rig, and often turns up smallies, eyes, etc. too

3. Downline fishfinder rig using a line counter. This is how I fish them mainly. I use a fishfinder rig like I posted but I hook my herring and place rod in holder. I let out enuff line so my egg sinker is touching surface of water. I zero out my linecounter and engage the clicker. I pull out the amount of line I need and i kno my bait is at the right depth. The depth is where Im marking fish OR where I mark the bigger fish in the school, usually below the other fish. i run 1-2 ft above those marks for loose schools or when big schools I run right at the depth to avoid schoolies. I leave the reels in free spool with the clickers on, and I use very light rods. When my fish runs the clicker is usually enuff to set the hook and lets the fish take line til I get to the rod. I crank a few turns to tighten the line and hookset and then i remove the rod from holder and fight the fish. If u grab the rod first and try to set u will lose some fish to runoffs. I use 8-9ft ugly stik downrigger rods in light action and daiwa accudepth 17s for my reels

4. Livelining. Alot of the locals fish using the Liveline method. I do also but as the water gets colder fish relate to the bottom. In summer its great, in fall u usually add a splitshot to keep them lower. Some use loose drags, some use strike guards, I use baitrunner reels in freshwater size by okuma. You can also fish a slip bobber and fish it very deep, or kinda up high, the marks you see on your sonar will advise you as to what works that day.

The extra rods I carry are jiggin rods in long lengths like 7', ML and M action. I run a silver/gold/chartruese Binsky, If I'm In water over 25' I run 3/4. As the water drops to low 50s come Nov. I switch to a jigging rap by rapala, or snaprap on the other rod along w the binsky. Various leadhead jigs and plastic swim jigs work too at times. The jigging rap can work in Oct but usually a blade bait is better, the fish are still active w water in the 60s. When water hits 50s and below the jiggin rap starts to shine

Be prepared for some deeper fishing in mid Oct. I doubt we will mark fish in less than 25ish FOW, they will be in 25-35 mainly and some may venture in 35-45 as well, especially if on bait, they can be literally in the middle of the lake. Herring school up and suspend in the summer months, as the water gets cooler they still do that but also tend to hang lower in the water column, somewhere in the middle is the usual. There will be varied depths, but the schools bottom orient under bait close to the bottom when they are relating to their food, and the fish u see a few feet off the bottom and higher are feeding and will easily grab ur bait and jigs. Its good to jig cause u can trigger inactive fish w a reaction and pass the time in between live bait runoffs, otherwise put the radio on and drink ur coffee and BS while u wait for strikes. Very important to always watch ur sonar, fish will be zipping underneath u all day long, the water will be 60s and fish very active, so if you get on them u need to stay on them, they move quite a bit, side imaging really helps w that aspect knowing which way they are going. Dont be turned off by handfuls of boats in one spot or area, the schools often move quite a bit and you arent out of the game because someone else has the "hot spot". Dont sit too long anchored up in one area, if a half hour or more passes without action, move. Sometimes a small move will get you on feeding fish, sometimes you have to move to a whole new area, if your marking good fish and you got bait and are jigging without a nibble, those fish are taking a nap, find some hungry stripers

Last edited by jimmythegreek; 09-18-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm more than likely in.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm in with my 2 sons as of right now.can't wait to jigem.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Me and Craig (screen name Lard Almighty) are in - we'll be teaming up on my boat.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wilson will be joining me on my boat....said he'd take pictures while I catch the fish.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Jimmy, when your using these rigs are you anchored, drifting or trolling and if trolling how fast? My latest rig is four downlines with fish finder rigs, two up front and two off the back corners. The fronts with 1oz and the back with 3/4, it's important to keep the heavier weights up front and the lighter ones in the back to keep from tangling,the lighter weights will swing away keeping more distance between the lines, may have to increase the weight a little to fish deeper then my usual 10 or 12 ft. I use fairly long leaders around 5 ft, 12# mono main , a 10# floro leader, and 1 or 1/o red wide gap finesse Gamakatsu. I also run a planer out each side also with a fish finder rig. I don't have line counters so I tie a bobber stop at a given distance from the weight to help with keeping track of how deep they are and try to fish them in relation to where I mark the fish, much like you or fish them at mixed depths to hunt for feeding fish. I slow troll this setup anywhere from a 1/2 to 1 1/2 mph, weaving the boat and varying the speed to keep the baits rising and falling and of coarse use herring for bait usually hooked as close to the back of the head as possible. Jigging for stripes or anything for that matter will be new to me so all the rigs and tips are very much appreciated appreciated. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat or catch a striper, lets hear some more. Ya have to give a little to get a little. Would love to catch a nice walleye, my pb so far is about a ft and I would love to improve on that.

Last edited by flatcreek; 09-24-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Old 09-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Wisherman View Post
Wilson will be joining me on my boat....said he'd take pictures while I catch the fish.
Did I mention the fee..... JK
Old 09-24-2014, 09:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Flatcreek i dont own an anchor. I have terrova's w ipilot on both boats so i use spotlock when i downline. I find fish either with side imaging or regular 2d sonar and hover over them. The terrova has gps in the head and i stay in a 10-15ft circle above my marks and fish them that way. I do the same using 3way rigs too. The little bit of movement usually helps trigger a strike actually. U could do the same backtrolling, anchored, or using a trolling motor. I use gps on the chartplotter and mark waypoints so i never guess where i marked thenfish. I also search like u do w 4 lines on corners but thats only when im close to fish. If im in full search mode i either run and gun without lines in the water or i slow troll herring. My trollin is 3 line out back using #8 gammi trebles. Nose hook a herring behind the nostril and let out 60 or so ft of line. Then an offshore snap weight w usually 2oz sometimes 3oz in deep water and i use the precision trolling table chart to set my depths using my speed. I like exactly 1mph i lock it in using cruise control on the ipilot so it compensates for wind and waves automatically. Deep line in the middle and the medium and high lines on the corners. 99% of my big eyes and stripes come this way. Even in summer the herring are deep and suspended and the gamefish arent far behind. I use 12#trilene from bulk spools and segaur 15# floro leaders usually 6ft or so off a swivel between. When slow moving downlines i may use 1oz even 1.5 and 2oz if im 30ft plus depths. All depends on what im seeing on the screens. When i fish planers and searching i vary each depth w the deepest closest to the boat. I use linecounters and stagger 5 ft on each board and then same on the boats downlines for 6 rods total. I only do 6 rods in the reservoirs where i can get returns on side imaging otherwise its too much work w the weeds clearing lines especially at lakes like LH. I use my electric to troll so i dont need the spread to keep lines from noise i need it to run that many lines. If a certain depth or system keeps getting hit imswitch them all over to that except 1 line. I always run a deep line hugging bottom thats where the lunkers usually come from.
If ur looking to target eyes u need to run spinner rigs w worms on bottom or search for bigger bottom marks and fish 3way rigs and jig the binsky and/or jiggin raps etc otherwise they just come w sum luck. In fall theres always a few guys pullin nice muskies and eyes while targeting wipers. They are all eating one thing trying to fatten up for the ice season.........herring
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Funny jimmy we do things different but in a lot way way somewhat the same and on different budgets for sure. I went from four planers and a down rigger to the four downlines and two planners so I can turn tighter and stay on the fish much like you hoover on them. I also mark the spot when I hit the fish, I just use a marker buoy instead of a way-point on the gps. (way-point on gps is way above my pay-grade) I then just keep turning on the buoy and try to keep track of where they move with sonar. It's near impossible to find the same spot in the middle of a lake without a marker of some sort. I have used way-points, but find chucking the buoy like a grenade when a fish hits is more fun for me and simpler. Wait I think I just hit on a new technique. (anybody got any grenades)

Last edited by flatcreek; 09-24-2014 at 10:44 PM..