NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tog Rod - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Tog Rod

First of all lets not start a flaming rod war here. I know there are some very strong opinions so lets right now agree to disagree respectfully.

I'm no expert here and talked to a bunch of different people about this and would like to get other opinions... Seems there is no perfect rod and you might have to have 2 set ups depending on your style of fishing and how much weight you want or need to use.

Here is what I'm thinking....

- You want a rod that has good give in the tip but a good solid back bone. I say this for a few reasons... If the tip is too fast and you over react like me on hook sets you will pull the bait from the fish. You also want some give in the tip absorb the up and down of the seas since you want to keep your bait on the bottom and as motionless as possible. You want the rod to load up a bit slower for a good hookset but the backbone needs to be strong so once you have the fish on you can keep them out of the rocks. For this reason I'm thinking a glass rod might be best since most graphite rods don't have the give in the tip and they load up too fast, at least for me.

- Should be at least 7 feet long, maybe longer if you fish party boats. Longer rods allow you to keep your line away from the boat since you are usually fishing straight up and down. If on a party boat you need to compensate for the rails and much higher distance from the deck to the water, so that's why I say longer for party boats.

- As far as sensativity, here too I think glass rods get the nod. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that braided lines work best here because you feel everything. Blackfish typically telegraph their hits and you will either feel it in the line or see them at the tip. The combination of Graphite and braid at least for me, has way too much sensativity and if you are not patient you'll be swinging at everything.

- Spiral or regular wrap? Don't have any opinions here since I have not fished a spiral rod but it seems to me that sprial may have some advantages. The one I see for stand up fishing is that the reel doesn't want to shift as much left to right when fighting a fish because the load is more balance and is absorbed more by the guides facing down. I'll give an example.... When fighting a heavier fish like a tuna stand up I find it difficult to keep the reel square, the torque always wants to shift the reel left or right. This might not be as much as an advantage with smaller fish like blackfish but still thinking their might be some advantage. Am I all wet here??

- Off the shelf or custom and some of that may depend on your budget. However, if you go sprial I guess you have no choice since I don't know of any off the shelf spirals.

- How much sinker weight should this rod be capable of?? I'm thinking 8 - 12 ounces, especially for the conditions we normally fish here in the winer/fall since you want your sinker to stay put. If however you have a nice calm day you might want to have another rod suited for lighter weights and this is why in the begining I'm thinking you might need 2 rods.

Once again, not trying to start a rod war here and it's likely the answer for some will be different than others based on their particular style of fishing. Just looking to get opinions so I can make a more informed choice based on how I fish and increase my odds for PUOSU... More on that later

What say you tog sharpies and rod snobs out there??

Pass the popcorn please

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 10-10-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tog Rod

Gerry I agree with your thoughts on the two rods depending on the weight needed to hold bottom.

I perfer a little bit stiffer tip ( graphite composite at least ) seems like the bite is felt better for me with that type and cork grips.

My heavy stick is the old G-Loomis Bacura heavy which will handle 10 oz and has a lot of backbone and light in weight. ( too bad it was discontinued ). I pair this rod with a Saltiga 20 using 50 lb braid which makes it one hell of an combo.

My lighter version if a 7 1/2 ft Phenix insure Hybird built by CR in Long island which is paired with a Diawa Lexa 400 with the power handle. This rod was just built so it has yet to be tested but it worked well on Sea Bass andwill handle up to 8 oz in a pinch but better paired fron 4 - 6.

Have a sprial wrap Cod rod for Jigging but perfer the traditional builds for bottom fishing.

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good topic. Many of the things you bring up lend to a good debate.
I feel that the primary characteristic of a Blackfish rod is "taper".
You mention "if the tip is too fast". That says it all. A fast taper rod usually bends in the upper third/quarter. The problem here is that the tip is generally 'soft' and the butt portion very stiff. When you get a bite the fish already knows that you are setting up, and will drop the bait. It is a split second "signal' that just scares the fish away. If you hook the fish and he attempts to run back into the wreck you will "bump" more fish as the fast taper pulls more hooks that are lip hooked and will break more lines.
[many rod mfgrs. indicate on the bottom of the rod the rod taper; slow medium fast]
A medium taper rod bends more in the center of the rod. This action gives 'immediate pressure during the 'hookset', disallowing the fish from 'shaking' the hook, and allows the angler to continue a high striking motion that will help to get the fish off the wreck. You can actually 'crank' the reel against the action of the rod, and the medium taper will act as a shock absorber throughout the remainder of the fight. For every 10 fish that are lost, I believe medium taper will keep about half of those on the hook.
Materials, and rod lengths are other good topics.
Sensitivity???? it is an ability of the fisherman. Most anglers are led to believe in advertising that it is in a fishing line or rod material.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Banned

To piggy back off of Gerry's post..

You may want a fast tip if you are not paying attention to the motion of the boat so you can keep your sinker on the bottom motionless; you want your bait to move freely because they actually like it better most times, that's why I shake my rod tip and pop my line while not moving my sinker.

A fast tip rod also help with the hook set (with novice toggers), you see because the rod tip is so mushy (made of glass) that it is more forgiving in both the hook set and keeping your sinker on the bottom.

Glass and braid are great to fish together, because you get to feel the bites in your line and you have the cushion of the glass rod when you are fighting the fish, because you let the rod fight the fish for you.

Graphite and braid together is tough for most, as they aren't used to it, but when you do learn it is lights out. I prefer to use a medium/fast taper Rod like the Seeker Hercules inshore heavy and GTS80H.

I will use mono in waters 50 foot or less as you can feel the bites just fine and move to braid when fishing deeper water.

As for top shot for braid I use 30lb big game in green, and that is just fine. I see people using 50lb top shot and even 60lb top shot, that to me is way overkill. As long as you have your drag set right 30lb top shot should be more than enough. (Last January I landed 10 fish over 10lbs)

Sinker weight used are 10's and 12's (Flat or bank) 95% of the time as a heavier sinker is what I like

Hooks that I use are 2 ott, for smaller baits like Asians or Fiddlers, to 4 ott hooks for greens and big asians, and 5 ott to 6 ott hooks for Jonah/Rock crabs.

Also with the hooks I Snell them with 30lb-60lb fluoro leader because I happen to think it does make a difference and because I can get fluoro just as cheap as mono.

I can go on lol, but I will stop here. Good Luck toggin!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Saw this diagram and it helped me to visualize some of what's been said so I think I'm understanding it now....

Fast actually means a softer tip but faster to react once the hook is set since the rod loads faster, in other words it stops bending further up the rod and closer to the tip.

Slow the tip is actually firmer but the rod is slow to load since it bends closer to the butt.

Medium, is well....... Medium

Do I have this right or am I confused
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod action.JPG
Views:	1854
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	64873  

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 10-10-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thumbs up Re: Tog Rod

Being the old salt I am and a somewhat newby to toggin, I coverted modified grahite 2 blanks like muskie rods made by st crroix, loomis anmd lamiglass, I hated trhe trigger grip reel seats, even went to supersensitive salmon steelhead blanks/ rods all with shortcommings, than I modified my trigger musky rods by extening the boat 6 - 12".
Still wasn't satisfied!!!!
Went to my 9" + surf fiberglass custom rods from the 80's ( yeah no BS)
stripped 'em down cut them to handle a 10-12 oz sinker with still a little bounce in the tip. Fish them 7 1/2 the 7 3/4' long with composite grips and coek tape in between. Simple strong conventional lile a Newel 220 or Squider 140/200 and 50 to 60 braid = Dynamite Tog Stic for me especially in the deeper stuff - can put the boots to them if needed still enough cushion not to rip the hooks when they are digging in
The muskie triggers still work for me in the inshore rocky areas with mono up tom 40'
depending on the current and conditions and the bite 30 - 60 # leader ;-0
Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Funny I was just talking to Tropics about tog rods and he too mentioned cutting down a glass surf stick and loves it as well...

Anyone have any opinions on spirals???

Bulah..... Buhlahhhhhh ??

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
Funny I was just talking to Tropics about tog rods and he too mentioned cutting down a glass surf stick and loves it as well...
I use a classic Harnell stick that was chopped and it's awesome. Only problem is not getting out enuff I'll be happy to let you use it Gerry, just set up the next PUOSU trip and it'll be there
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

BTW - These rods were moderate to medium action with the exception to a lami BT108 3M which was cut to 7/64 tip.
This blank is a beast ! plenty of power to snap a stuck rig off the bottom, yet sensitive enough for enough the faintest tog nibble
Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartattack
I use a classic Harnell stick that was chopped and it's awesome. Only problem is not getting out enuff I'll be happy to let you use it Gerry, just set up the next PUOSU trip and it'll be there
Working on the PUOSU with MVP as we speak Larry so stay tuned and hope to see you on both trips

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area