NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

friday snowstorm - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default friday snowstorm

My boat is still in the water.They are calling for significent snow on friday.If we get a lot of snow, can it damage the boat combined with freezing temps.Any advise appreciated.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: friday snowstorm

More info needed. What kind/size boat do you have? Power? Outboard, inboard, I/O? Do you have scuppers that are close to the water line?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It all has to do with drainage - scuppers, holes however water can get out because snow/ice will weigh down your boat and can potentially capsize it or sink it. If you have outboards, that added weight can push the motors down into the water.

Make sure all your drainage holes are clean and opened so that water can flow out.

If you can, the best solution is to pull it. If you can't, again make sure the water can drain and get to the boat whenever you can to shovel it out.

BTW this storm looks like a potential bust so maybe you have little to worry about
Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Class View Post
It all has to do with drainage - scuppers, holes however water can get out because snow/ice will weigh down your boat and can potentially capsize it or sink it. If you have outboards, that added weight can push the motors down into the water.

Make sure all your drainage holes are clean and opened so that water can flow out.

If you can, the best solution is to pull it. If you can't, again make sure the water can drain and get to the boat whenever you can to shovel it out.

BTW this storm looks like a potential bust so maybe you have little to worry about
Good advice - I lost a boat exactly as decribed above. Storm came through and suppers were clogged. Boat got wieghed down and it sunk right in the slip. Happened to another boat in my marina just this year.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Boat is 23' sea hunt cc with hard top.Scuppers are close to water line.250 outboard.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnbucks View Post
Scuppers are close to water line.250 outboard.
That is the issue... Snow loads up in the cock pit, makes the boat heavy and lowers the water line of the boat, scuppers are now under the water, boat fills up and next thing you know your are checking your insurance policy.

If this storm does become a reality and your are not close enough to keep an eye on your boat, I would pull it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Where do you keep it? If you are far away and boat is near Manasquan I can do a couple on drive boys and keep on eye on it for you if that helps
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

They are calling for precipitation potentially starting as wet snow sleet n rain going to all snow & temps down in the single digits..... Very bad combo! Whatever falls is gonna freeze hard!!! U are gonna have a lot of snow & ice in your boat!!!! Gonna be too cold (and frozen) to drain out the scuppers & bilge is gonna be frozen. Get the boat out!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Maybe throw some snowmelt salt on the deck, then shovel right away
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbillfish View Post
They are calling for precipitation potentially starting as wet snow sleet n rain going to all snow & temps down in the single digits..... Very bad combo! Whatever falls is gonna freeze hard!!! U are gonna have a lot of snow & ice in your boat!!!! Gonna be too cold (and frozen) to drain out the scuppers & bilge is gonna be frozen. Get the boat out!!!!
I'm with billfish and I have the experience of getting the call the next day from the marina and going down there only to see our boat antennas sticking out of the water.

If you can or have someone to watch it leave it in. If not, I would reccomend you be safe and pull it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area