NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

AndyS Got His Trout! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up AndyS Got His Trout!

From the F&W Email Blast

More than 20,000 additional Rainbow Trout, averaging more than 11 inches, went out during the last few weeks of the stocking season. And the Raritan River received about 24,000 four-inch surplus trout. With recent rains and good temperatures these extra fish should provide excellent fishing in coming months.

Many lakes and streams remain cold enough for trout fishing right through the summer months...until more fish are stocked in the fall. For warm weather trout fishing check out the Trout Conservation Areas, Wild Trout Streams and Trophy & Holdover Trout Lakes.

and who says the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease
Old 05-29-2019, 03:25 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: AndyS Got His Trout!

Now I know what everything will be feeding on
Old 05-29-2019, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The state has been releasing surplus trout for years to make room for the next year's stock. It prevents overcrowding and the inevitable stunting and diseases which are byproducts of trying to raise too many fish in too small an area. Once the fish are released, everyone has an idea about where they should have been stocked. I'm sure that this is going on right now. It really doesn't matter where the little trout are stocked because there will always be negative comments and better ideas about where they should have been dumped.

Put them in Round Valley and people will say that the bigger trout will eat them. Put them in the Raritan and once again they become bait. Put them in the rivers and they affect the natural production of wild trout. Put them in the lakes and ponds and they become food for the cormorants or will die from oxygen depletion. Too many trout in one stream and they compete for food with the other bigger, more desirable holdover trout. There is no winning. Will some survive? It's likely that some will.

In the end, the trout are an expendable commodity. It's like pruning a tree or shrub. In order for the tree to grow stronger, the smaller branches have to be sacrificed. In this case, in order for the rest of the trout to grow larger, the smaller ones have to go. If any of those surplus trout survive and grow in the Raritan, it's a bonus. If not, they had a chance. If history repeats itself, very few will find their way onto anyone's stringer. A look back at the "diseased" brown trout that were released into the Raritan and Rahway Rivers a few years back, never to be seen again, will prove my point.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: AndyS Got His Trout!

Here my answer to that !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5458.JPG
Views:	910
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	133995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	822
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	133996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5576.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	133997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	133998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	761
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	133999  

Old 05-29-2019, 07:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Have to agree with billfish , the state needs to clean house to make room for the next batch. It's done with multiple species so it's not uncommon for them to stock tons of surplus fish at a below average size. Nice to know that our dedicated state hatchery employees are busting their asses to produce a huge volume of fish! Shout out to both Hacketstown and Pequest employees! Job well done!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good place to dump them! A lot of stripers and other raritan bay fish being fed They're dumped in the lower parts of the raritan from what I believe.

But it's expected some of the thousands find the way to survival.

Dump em across other rivers and you'll just get overcrowded dinks eating what the larger trout want, which are already stocked in great numbers.

I wonder why they werent put into RV as a food source? That's the only other place Id consider as a good dumping spot.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
And the Raritan River received about 24,000 four-inch surplus trout.
That's about the size of an F11 Rapala, for those interested.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I wonder why they werent put into RV as a food source? That's the only other place Id consider as a good dumping spot.
If there was a place they would survive and grow, my money would be on " The Valley". The only predators to the small trout would be the larger trout that are already there. There's plenty of krill for the little fish to eat and grow. Speaking of large trout in the Valley, there are confirmed reports of large brown trout slurping down freshly stocked trout underneath the north tower on and around stocking days years ago. Most, if not all, of the other impoundments are managed for other species. Stocking four inch trout in any of them would only be adding more forage to feed the big 'uns.

I'm not sure if it still is the case, but one of the best live baits for striped bass in the Delaware was a lively 10" rainbow trout. The menu for the Raritan River striped bass might have just changed.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is my opinion on surplus Trout. According to fish and game when I emailed
them and statements given by them, they keep stocking only Rainbows because they are plentiful. If they start stocking Browns the numbers will be down.
Well??? According to my math start stocking Browns, numbers are down, no surplus. What will be their next excuse.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Having surplus trout is a good thing. It means the brood stock is healthy and doing what they are supposed to do. Healthy fish means more eggs and more fry. The state stocked over a half a million trout this year. I'd say that's pretty good.

On a side note, Andy is right. The Raritan main stem should get some additional trout during the year. If someone can't find a way to adjust the stocking numbers from other stocking loads and add them to the Raritan stocking quotas, it's only because someone doesn't want it to happen. I don't think the stocking program of the Div of F&W will dry up if a couple of thousand trout get stocked in the Raritan. Make it a TCA or C&R and only stock trophy trout. I'm sure Andy will volunteer to float stock some great areas.

The bottom line is that people besides Andy have to make some noise. Chambers of Commerce, politicians, small business owners and fishermen have to emphasize the economic impact something like this will have on their communities.

Just an idea!