NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Newbie looking for advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Angry Newbie looking for advice

Hello everyone! I've been reading the posts for the last week and this is my first post. I live on the Garfield/Elmwood Park border and am in need of some advice.

I'm now 33 and haven't been active in fishing since I was about 15.

I picked up a license almost a month ago and have since gone fishing only about 6-7 times and still have not caught a thing!!!

I don't have a boat. I've been to the Passaic River near the falls in Garfield and the bank in front of Elmwood Park high school. I've tried night crawlers and Senkos and still nothing. I'm swithing out my line tonight from 6lb to 14-16lb. I'm also going to invest in some spinnerbaits because I've read alot of folks on here havings some success with them.

I can only fish after 6pm during the week because of work and haven't gone in the morning. I've tried using a bobber and not using a bobber. Nothing has been working!!

Can someone please share some advice with me? I've been bringing my 7 year old son but he has been losing interest more and more since we both haven't caught a thing yet. I'll be stopping by Meltzers tonight to get them spinners.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Newbie looking for advice

Spinners and buzz baits in chartreuse and white, get some top waters like Zara spooks,jitterbugs,and get some bigger rap alas like the f18 and get some jointed ones too fire tiger and silver,black - stop using worms and try shiners
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I am having the same problems as i am going to pompton lake this weekend with my boys!! But we bought a boat and have not been able to catch a thing from it!! We fished from shore and was catching fish and the kids kept telling me to get a boat and i did and now getting skunked everywhere, But there are a bunch or great guys on here that will help you out!!! I would rather have my boys fishing with me then getting involved with all the other bad stuff out there!!! Good luck and the guys on here will help you out!! I trust them!! They never steer you wrong on here!!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the feedback! What about where I've been fishing? Any good spots on the river near Garfield/Elmwood Park? Or should I be going more north or south? At this point I'm looking for anything that's biting to keep my boy interested.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al7601
Hello everyone! I've been reading the posts for the last week and this is my first post. I live on the Garfield/Elmwood Park border and am in need of some advice.

I'm now 33 and haven't been active in fishing since I was about 15.

I picked up a license almost a month ago and have since gone fishing only about 6-7 times and still have not caught a thing!!!

I don't have a boat. I've been to the Passaic River near the falls in Garfield and the bank in front of Elmwood Park high school. I've tried night crawlers and Senkos and still nothing. I'm swithing out my line tonight from 6lb to 14-16lb. I'm also going to invest in some spinnerbaits because I've read alot of folks on here havings some success with them.

I can only fish after 6pm during the week because of work and haven't gone in the morning. I've tried using a bobber and not using a bobber. Nothing has been working!!

Can someone please share some advice with me? I've been bringing my 7 year old son but he has been losing interest more and more since we both haven't caught a thing yet. I'll be stopping by Meltzers tonight to get them spinners.

Thanks!

Not sure where you've been fishing - but look for local ponds that others are fishing - or that have signs that others have fished there recently (empty bait containers, pond-side foot-prints and forked sticks...). Most will contain sunfish, bass, catfish, and usually lots of other species.

If you've been using worms and not catching there are probably few fish where you've been trying. Nearly anything that swims in NJ will take a worm unless they are selectively feeding - like trout taking emergers only during a hatch.

A few things I learned teaching my own kids when they were very young, and more recently my grandchildren:

--Try the spot by yourself to better guarantee fish when you bring the little one. If you're successful odds are they will be when you take them.

--Have a back-up plan. If fishing is slow or non-existent take them to a park or ice-cream parlor. At least they won't remember the experience as a total wash out.

--Make sure you bring snacks and drinks. They will enjoy the snacks as much as the fishing - and you can extend your outing if they're not hungry/thirsty.

--Even if they're catching fish, depending on their age and interest level - they're going to get bored. Let them take breaks - throw rocks in the water (if others aren't fishing close by), chase butterflies, or look for crayfish.

--This was one of my failures - when they're ready to leave - leave - If you're catching a few 2-3lb largemouths and they've been catching 5 inch bluegills this can be tuff - but forcing them to stay beyond their limit makes it a bad experience.

If you're lucky they'll get hooked and you'll have a fishing companion for life.

Good Luck
Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

well said calbo, great advice.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
well said calbo, great advice.
Ditto, but... teach them how to fish a fly rod and you will always catch fish

Ya don't need an expensive outfit for this

bluegills always fall for any "bug" that falls in the water. My Go-To pattern when fishing becomes slow.

There have been times I have come back to a boat ramp, yeah I have a boat, and found kids fishing and not catching, got the fly rod out and they were suddenly catching with a little coaching on how the get them in

My son when younger (4-7 y) learned the forward backward swing without actually casting when there was enough line out and out fished dear old dad

my 2cents
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

thers a pond in Wallington i go to catch carp all day when i cant get out to a further spot, being its down the street from me, i make a batch of cornmeal, bring my son and sit there and catch carp all day out the pond, from sunfish size up to 15 lb'ers ive caught in there..i fish bottom, most people i see there fish top with bread, and are sucessful also...let me know if u ever want to meet there..
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When you go to Meltzer's, ask for Mark Fuduli in the fishing dept.
He is WONDERFUL & will have you catching fish in no time.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4fun
thers a pond in Wallington i go to catch carp all day when i cant get out to a further spot, being its down the street from me, i make a batch of cornmeal, bring my son and sit there and catch carp all day out the pond, from sunfish size up to 15 lb'ers ive caught in there..i fish bottom, most people i see there fish top with bread, and are sucessful also...let me know if u ever want to meet there..

Thanks, are you re talking about county park? I grew up in Wallington.