NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bittersweet Troutin' this weekend - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-05-2020, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Bittersweet Troutin' this weekend

Saturday i hit up a WTS looking for some wild browns. I haven't had much luck with them in NJ, and wanted to break that streak. Fished from 8am to noon, only saw one fish which I spooked. I threw the kitchen sink but came up short. Ran into a fellow NJFer (across the river, practicing social distancing ). Good to see you man!

Fast forward to today. I got up at the crack of dawn. Not to fish, but to move the rest of my belongings out of my childhood home. After being on the market for over a year, it finally sold and the closing is coming up. I drove the hour to get there and moved things all day long. Halfway through the day, I came across my childhood trout rod, the one I used every time I went trout fishing with my dad. I also found 2 old, random spinners in a drawer. My house was a 5 minute walk from a trout stream and I used to take that walk as often as I could. So after finding the rod, with 5-10 year old 8 pound test on a half working reel, i said "what the hell, one last walk."

I walked down the trail my friends and I used every time we went exploring in the woods. I have two holes that I know always hold fish, and with only about 30 minutes to spare I figured I would focus on those 2. I got to the first one to find a few feisty rainbows, hooked one but ended up losing it. Got a few more swipes, but the fish got smart and stopped following. Onto the next hole.

Usually I fish this hole from the opposite side of the stream, but with my sneakers and khakis I wasn't in a position to do any crossing unless I was willing to drive home with cold wet feet. I gave it a few casts and thought, "Well, doesn't seem like anyone is home, but it was great to get out here one more time." Right after thinking that, i got WHACKED. Thought at first i was snagged until the fish came barreling out of the water flying feet into the air. I reeled him in and was shocked to find a wild brown trout had bit my spinner.

In all 20+ years of fishing this stream I had heard of browns lurking around but had never caught one, let alone seen one. To catch it on a partially broken Garcia Trout rod from the 80s or 90s with old mono on the very last day I will ever step foot in my childhood home was an insane feeling. Took the walk back home with a smile ear to ear, asking myself how that just happened.

I will miss that house. I will miss that town. But I will always return to this stream. There is no other place like it in New Jersey.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe, and fishing when you can. Tight lines!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Bittersweet Troutin' this weekend

nice! it's never too far away when it comes to feisty wild trout
Old 04-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Site Sponsor

That’s a awesome report. Great memories! Good job Brandon!
Ps I got ya man I’ll hook u up with some good water for wild browns if ya need
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 04-05-2020, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wow!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice write up .
Special things happen at special times .
IMO it’s not by chance .
Congrats on a very special memory.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 04-05-2020, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

That was one wonderful story, really wanted to ask you what stream it was. I think this is the week I actually give the old reservoir that I fished over 50 years ago a shot.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I feel your pain, having to leave a childhood home myself back in 2015.. That rod and reel should always remain with you after that day of fishing and getting a wild brown trout out of that place that you fished as a kid and the fact you landed that fish on old mono and you did not loose it is cool, well done great report
Old 04-06-2020, 02:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great story, thanks for posting that up.

And the great thing about fishing, is that once you make the effort to get a line in the water, you just never know.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice job, beautiful fish
Old 04-06-2020, 03:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wow—that’s just awesome