NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spermaceti Cove - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-04-2020, 02:48 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Spermaceti Cove

It’s been a while since I have seen any mention of spermaceti cove. I would like to take the wife somewhere that we can beach and enjoy the day. In the past I saw a lot of talk about being very careful pulling into the cove. Can anyone elaborate? I’m not sure if I still need to watch for hazards or how to approach. Do people still go there?
I know where it is. I’m just not sure how safe it is to pull in. I can enter drawing just a foot of water.
Is their any other areas around that are like Spermaceti Cove around sandy hook, Navasink, or Shrewsbury rivers? Any place people beach their boats and gather for a day on the beach?
Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Spermaceti Cove

The deep water from the Chanel to the cove are clearly marked on GPS maps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8021C83-FE4A-4FC1-AB82-5C243E91568D.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	142616  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-05-2020, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Spermacetti cove is usually sailboat duffers. You mean skull island that is in the river east of the 7-9 cans with the power boats beached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmrf View Post
It’s been a while since I have seen any mention of spermaceti cove. I would like to take the wife somewhere that we can beach and enjoy the day. In the past I saw a lot of talk about being very careful pulling into the cove. Can anyone elaborate? I’m not sure if I still need to watch for hazards or how to approach. Do people still go there?
I know where it is. I’m just not sure how safe it is to pull in. I can enter drawing just a foot of water.
Is their any other areas around that are like Spermaceti Cove around sandy hook, Navasink, or Shrewsbury rivers? Any place people beach their boats and gather for a day on the beach?
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-05-2020, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Air Force cove in the SInk. But not much beach there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Spermacetti cove is usually sailboat duffers. You mean skull island that is in the river east of the 7-9 cans with the power boats beached?
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-05-2020, 03:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Skeleton Hill is still a gathering spot. Changed dramatically after Sandy. If you only draft 1 ft then you’ll def have no issue getting in.

Like Gerry posted, plenty of deeper water coming in. From what every chart shows tho that deeper cut is def more East than it shows.

Once you get in, there is a submerged rock wall. Marked crudely with some floats and sticks by regulars. Be real careful cuz it’s impossible to see. Ask me how I know....or call and ask Atlantic Propeller and give them my name

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 07-06-2020, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I was actually there yesterday. Last was there in 2018, and the Cove/Beach that appears as the tide ebbs isn't the same as it was 2 years ago. There used to be a beach, and then a nice drop off, where its at least 10 feet deep. That hole really isnt there anymore. It was high tide when i went in, and went much deeper then i have in the past, just to have a beach to go to. Left about 10 hours later. Nice place to spend the day if you want to just hang, but the charts don't really reflect what the cove actually is now.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was there Sunday as well. Got to close to the point going around a tuber and bumped something going in even though depth finder read 4 ft. under the boat. Depth reading was around 2 ft. or less going out.
Nice place to stop though my daughters enjoyed swimming in the 78 deg. water.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Had to get a guy out of there with the tow boat. Much of the remembered contour is gone. The charts are semi worthless back there.

And there is a large barely submerged obstruction on the southward facing island tip. Someone said they marked with sticks of floats.

The drop off facing east was great. Stuff the bow in the sand facing west and the transom had 10 feet of water under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstolte617 View Post
I was actually there yesterday. Last was there in 2018, and the Cove/Beach that appears as the tide ebbs isn't the same as it was 2 years ago. There used to be a beach, and then a nice drop off, where its at least 10 feet deep. That hole really isnt there anymore. It was high tide when i went in, and went much deeper then i have in the past, just to have a beach to go to. Left about 10 hours later. Nice place to spend the day if you want to just hang, but the charts don't really reflect what the cove actually is now.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-21-2021, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Has anyone been out to the cove this year ? Just checking to see what kind of shoaling has happened in the past year. Looking to make a trip this weekend or next.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Nothing much has changed there.... If you've never been, don't attempt without a chart plotter and try and avoid 3 or 4 hours on either side of low tide.

If you go inside the sand bar, stay fairly tight to the beach, the water is actually deepest there and you'll avoid some old pilings that are inside the bar.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area