NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Out of state recs? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Out of state recs?

I have a completely free weekend during mid October and as much as I love fishing in NJ I have not explored surrounding states much at all and I’d like to change that. I think I’d like to drive out somewhere and do some trout (or maybe even salmon?) fishing, maybe grab a hotel room or Airbnb overnight and just fish hard all weekend. Looking for genera areas to check out! PA or NY, either are on the table, just looking for a completely new experience! Thanks in advance, tight lines
Old 09-23-2019, 03:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Out of state recs?

New York ! Stay at Smiths Colonial Motel (remember those BEFORE Airbnb)

Easy Access to the East and West branches of the Delaware river as well as the main stem and Beaverkill. The branches CLOSE October 15th for spawning and reopen in April, as well as the Beaverkill I think also. The main stem up there is soooo much fun, hire a drift boat for the day if you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160 2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	137611  
Old 09-23-2019, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Out of state recs?

If you can squeeze in a Friday or Monday go west young man! If you want to catch big fish mid October is the tail end of salmon season and the early stage of steelhead season. You can do it for just a weekend but its pretty far so three days is a little more relaxing. Don't get me wrong you could do it for two days. I have done plenty of suicide missions where we drove all night, got there at daybreak, fished and came home the same day. But those days are over for me. Once you do it you will be hooked for life. I would hire a guide for at least one day. If you need details PM me and I can send you info on reputable guides and places to stay .
Old 09-23-2019, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
New York ! Stay at Smiths Colonial Motel (remember those BEFORE Airbnb)

Easy Access to the East and West branches of the Delaware river as well as the main stem and Beaverkill. The branches CLOSE October 15th for spawning and reopen in April, as well as the Beaverkill I think also. The main stem up there is soooo much fun, hire a drift boat for the day if you can.
Of course, the weekend I have free is the weekend of the 19th! Would it even be worth it to go then if everything is closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalinerush View Post
If you can squeeze in a Friday or Monday go west young man! If you want to catch big fish mid October is the tail end of salmon season and the early stage of steelhead season. You can do it for just a weekend but its pretty far so three days is a little more relaxing. Don't get me wrong you could do it for two days. I have done plenty of suicide missions where we drove all night, got there at daybreak, fished and came home the same day. But those days are over for me. Once you do it you will be hooked for life. I would hire a guide for at least one day. If you need details PM me and I can send you info on reputable guides and places to stay .
Just got Monday confirmed off!! I was trying to do that and just got that done. So the plan is drive out early Saturday am and fish that day, stay over that night, fish all day Sunday, probably drive home late Sunday and have Monday to recover. Reason for only one night stay is I’m trying not to spend as much money as possible. Other option is possibly a camping situation Sunday into Monday as that would save the most money. I’ll have to see how I feel! Haha. I would love to hire a guide, but it’s really not in the budget at this point (planning a wedding) and none of my buddies are free/interested so I think I’m flying solo. Big fish or small fish doesn’t matter, just want to catch some!
Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Out of state recs?

I can tell you all the access spots on the main stem of the Delaware river up there.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A float with sweet water guide service. Lard Almighty has good videos on that river.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Any opinions on Esopus Creek in NY? Found a sweet campsite there and read a few enticing articles. Looks like a cool area and an awesome place to get away, not too far but not too close either.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Out of state recs?

I heard the Esopus Creek is good for Rainbows, never fished it.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Any opinions on Esopus Creek in NY? Found a sweet campsite there and read a few enticing articles. Looks like a cool area and an awesome place to get away, not too far but not too close either.
Check out http://www.esopuscreel.com/, I have talked to the guide and he just opened a fly shop on the river this year. He seems like a great guide, very knowledgeable and willing to share info. I have inquired about the river and a bunch of its tributaries and he was sharing info freely, I would definitely recommend his service. His Instagram is @esopuscreel.

Also check your private messages.

Last edited by akoop; 09-24-2019 at 09:26 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
Check out http://www.esopuscreel.com/, I have talked to the guide and he just opened a fly shop on the river this year. He seems like a great guide, very knowledgeable and willing to share info. I have inquired about the river and a bunch of its tributaries and he was sharing info freely, I would definitely recommend his service. His Instagram is @esopuscreel.

Also check your private messages.
I responded to you! I think I'm going to plan on giving Esopus and the surrounding area a shot. Any idea what the regulations are like? Seems like the focus in the area is fly fishing, but I have also found some articles where the author is using spinning gear. I don't have any fly fishing experience so I would hate to get there and then find out I can't use my spinning gear.