NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Gateway Marina review - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Gateway Marina review

Picked up a used 2002 Yamaha 200 OX66 from a guy in NC that took it in trade off a pontoon boat. Looked clean enough and after securing shipping had it to me in a week.

Touched base with Todd over at Gateway and although this isn't the norm (they would rather sell a new engine and rig it...which I would like too, but funds don't allow) he agreed to get me in there for the swap. Dropped off my rig and the engine the following day. As with anything else, your own work is all that's on your mind....but I did walk through the yard and check out the progress on current jobs. Twin engine repower for the Jersey City fire boat, remove the floor and replace the gas tank on another...etc. I was going to be waiting for a while. Honestly though, they had me in and out in a little over 2 weeks which was phenomenal considering the work orders. I gave them the ok to make any repairs they deemed necessary for the repower and they were dealt with fairly and accordingly. Todd took me for a test run and even took the time to pull the cover and give me the one over on the engine. Price was up there, but I looked at all the little details that were addressed (filling in the unused bolt holes on the motor mount, greasing all fittings...etc) and felt a job done right is worth the extra couple bucks. No marina is going to hang an engine cheap and if they do...will you trust it 10 miles off the beach solo?

My bill is paid up and I'm not writing this for any other reason than to say I felt like I got a fair shake over there and if you're looking for a yard to get work done, you should check these guys out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	73374  
Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Gateway Marina review

Todd and his entire family are top notch. Been in a slip there for 2 years now and the service and attention to detail are second to none!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good Luck with her Bob. See ya out there!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Congrats on the new power. How different does the boat feel compared to the old powerplant?

...and remember, RingFree is your best friend...

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995

Last edited by Duffman; 08-02-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hole shot is WAY different (better) and the added weight on the transom is slightly noticeable. Can hold a conversation at cruise speed though.

I'm spinning a SST mirage 15 1/2" X 17 pitch prop and top out at 4900 rpm. Just ordered an aluminum 15X15 to get it closer to 5500. Was told reducing the torque and increasing the rpm's are better for the fuel injectors and less torque will add life to all moving parts. Makes sense I guess. Will give it a shot regardless.