NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

F&G Council meeting highlights Feb: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-11-2020, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb F&G Council meeting highlights Feb:

THE MINUTES OF THE NJ FISH AND GAME COUNCIL

ROBBINSVILLE, NJ FEBRUARY 11, 2020

Chief Barno reported that we are moving into trout season. She reviewed with the Council members changes for the upcoming 2020 Spring Trout Stocking season. Hooks Creek Lake, which has been a part of the trout stocking program for a number of years continues to be off the stocking list due to the saltwater intrusion that continues to occur within the lake. When we do our next Fish Code change we will remove it permanently from the list. West Hudson County Park Pond, in Hudson County that we added as a result of the last Fish Code change, has been very popular among the anglers and is currently being stocked preseason only. We would like to move it to a full allotment of trout so it will get four in‐season stockings in addition to the preseason stocking. This pond is in an urban area close to other opportunities and seems to be the location of choice for anglers in that area. The change would add 1,000 more fish for 2020.

There are a couple of adjustments on stream mileage Neldon’s Brook lost several stocking points and only have one remaining due to the poor behavior of anglers. Pascack Brook gained a stocking point on Kinderkamack Road, it gained a ¼ mile upstream and a ¼ mile downstream.

This will increase 180 trout for 2020 allocations. We had our first Fisheries Forum in the North, we had 46 anglers there.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: F&G Council meeting highlights Feb:

Increase stocking at the West Hudson Park Pond does give people the opportunity to fish and I do not have an issue with that. My issue is I know
where this is and there are always people fishing without a license and there is no fish and game patrol even close. Than F&G will discontinue stocking at yet another nice waterway in Sussex or Upper Passaic County. I heard a rumor that they wanted to discontinue stocking Clinton Reservoir (holdover trout) next year. Soooo !! stock a polluted pond with more trout and discontinue stocking at a beautiful holdover trout lake. Does not make any sense at all.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: F&G Council meeting highlights Feb:

I grew up in Kearny as a kid and we walked to that pond after picking up our pizza dough from Big Nicks down on the Ave for 50 cent. Cut our teeth on huge carp and catfish, didn't know what a stocked trout was until I became an adult. Most days the water was pea green or brown, people were always adding shopping carts for "structure"
Old 03-11-2020, 05:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hate it or love it, trout stocking urban ponds is successful for f&w. I think it's clear that an extra 1000 trout in a pond (put in perspective , the pequest river with 26,000) is more effective at growing angler interest in urban areas than stocking an extra 1000 trout in a creek that's already packed with them.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: F&G Council meeting highlights Feb:

I think the urban ponds are quite the opposite for F&G

1.) 90% of the anglers fishing there will never purchase a fishing license.

2.) Cormorants will decimate the trout population way before opening day.

3.) People will be fishing way before opening day.

4.) No rules of etiquette will be followed.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I think the urban ponds are quite the opposite for F&G

1.) 90% of the anglers fishing there will never purchase a fishing license.

2.) Cormorants will decimate the trout population way before opening day.

3.) People will be fishing way before opening day.

4.) No rules of etiquette will be followed.
I dont think 1 is accurate, ive seen plenty of folk with trout licenses at urban ponds. Enough to notice it attracts enough anglers to make it worth it. For just a 1,000 spring stockies, it's worth the trade. If there was no trout stocked in those ponds, the anglers there wouldn't buy a trout stamp at all.

The rest are all valid reasons trout fishing ponds kinda sucks compared to stream fishing. But not relate to the fact that stocking urban ponds will sell additional licenses.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with Andy on all of his points and have witnessed this personally to many times, especially at the West Hudson Park Pond. Its unfortunate but all of the points made are accurate and no beneficial to F&G or licensed sportsman.
I also grew up in this area , still live nearby and currently witness these issues.
F&G will stock a week before opening day and everyday there will be unlicensed adults fishing/catching/keeping.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

seems like a great opportunity for DFW enforcement to get out there and educate the public. some trout for the urban folks who buy a license, and some fines and a lesson for those who don't. everybody wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWole View Post
I heard a rumor that they wanted to discontinue stocking Clinton Reservoir (holdover trout) next year.
does anybody ever catch trout there? i always figured the larger bass and pickerel just ate them
Old 03-12-2020, 01:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yes they do before opening day
Old 03-12-2020, 05:03 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Were all adults here and I see the mention of the URBAN pond. I live in Harrison and there are always so many kids fishing there. Sometimes it's not all about us, that pond is great for the kids. I will actually be there this year open one day with my 3 year old daughter to start a tradition. Sometimes these poor kids in these urban areas can not get to any other bodies of water except where they can walk to.