NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Kayak - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default New Kayak Need Electronics Advice

I picked up a new kayak a few weeks ago and I want to get it all ready to fish this year. I need to pickup a new fish finder/GPS unit and I wanted to see what you guys recommend. I am thinking of going with unit with a 5" display, down imaging, GPS and mapping ability. I also think I am leaning toward mounting the transducer in the kayak and shooting it thru the hull.

I have been reading reviews online but don't really trust what people post so I figured I would ask NJFishing.com community.

I think I am leaning towards the Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Sonar/GPS Combo with U.S. Inland mapping capability. What do you guys think?

Last edited by akoop; 01-30-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Old 01-30-2020, 11:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Kayak

Your first purchase should be a comfortable PFD = life vest
Old 01-31-2020, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Kayak Need Electronics Advice

I don't know much about the Lowrance units but looks like you can get some good deals on this unit that include the navionics chip. Check out which lakes are available using their web app. https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...sm%7CxFj%7BpfM

With any type of imaging (down or side) the transducer is going to need to be in the water. Thru hull will distort the image quality. 2D sonar works fine thru hull. you won't get a temp reading if mounted inside the hull though.

Personally I have always been a Humminbird fan. The customer support is awesome and I have never had an issue with any of my 6 units over the years.

I just picked up a Helix 5 Chirp GPS G2 yesterday to be used for ice fishing, yak, and on the bow of boat. The helix line is feature rich and includes AutoChart live which makes your own contour map on the fly. It will let you find the spot on the spot. Autochart also maps bottom hardness and vegetation. I am excited to see how this works in real life. Based on the videos it looks like it could be a game changer.

Based on my internet research the Humminbird imaging is considered to be better than Lowrance. 2D sonar is a push with a slight edge to Lowrance. I haven't compared them personally though.

Humminbird is running a promo on the Helix 5 where you can get up to $50 rebate depending on the unit. https://www.humminbird.com/promotions

Humminbird also has a transducer exchange program where you can swap out the included transom mount transducer for a thru hull or tm puck. You can use the transom mount transducer as a thru hull. Tons of vids on how to setup. https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...sducerExchange

With how far technology has come any unit will meet your needs. It is all about the extra bells and whistles. Nice thing is they hold their value and you can always get most of your money back selling it on ebay.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
Safety first
i think akoop had one based off his post last year, he did well with pike and bass.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NJSquatch knows his stuff! He gave me tons of tips when i was looking, thoughI decided to wait on buying a fish finder until i upgrade from my current yak, but who knows when that'll be

Which boat did you end up choosing? Would be cool to do an NJFishing Kayak Float sometime
Old 01-31-2020, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
I already have an inflatable Mustang PFD. This is not my 1st kayak, I just recently upgraded.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
I don't know much about the Lowrance units but looks like you can get some good deals on this unit that include the navionics chip. Check out which lakes are available using their web app. https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...sm%7CxFj%7BpfM

With any type of imaging (down or side) the transducer is going to need to be in the water. Thru hull will distort the image quality. 2D sonar works fine thru hull. you won't get a temp reading if mounted inside the hull though.

Personally I have always been a Humminbird fan. The customer support is awesome and I have never had an issue with any of my 6 units over the years.

I just picked up a Helix 5 Chirp GPS G2 yesterday to be used for ice fishing, yak, and on the bow of boat. The helix line is feature rich and includes AutoChart live which makes your own contour map on the fly. It will let you find the spot on the spot. Autochart also maps bottom hardness and vegetation. I am excited to see how this works in real life. Based on the videos it looks like it could be a game changer.

Based on my internet research the Humminbird imaging is considered to be better than Lowrance. 2D sonar is a push with a slight edge to Lowrance. I haven't compared them personally though.

Humminbird is running a promo on the Helix 5 where you can get up to $50 rebate depending on the unit. https://www.humminbird.com/promotions

Humminbird also has a transducer exchange program where you can swap out the included transom mount transducer for a thru hull or tm puck. You can use the transom mount transducer as a thru hull. Tons of vids on how to setup. https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...sducerExchange

With how far technology has come any unit will meet your needs. It is all about the extra bells and whistles. Nice thing is they hold their value and you can always get most of your money back selling it on ebay.
I was looking at that unit too but I found a bunch of reviews that had people complaining that the unit had trouble in water less that 20 feet. It would start reporting that you were in 1000 feet of water. There were multiple reports of this happening.

I know that you can't do side imaging if the transducer is mounted in the hull but I thought down imaging was ok.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
NJSquatch knows his stuff! He gave me tons of tips when i was looking, thoughI decided to wait on buying a fish finder until i upgrade from my current yak, but who knows when that'll be

Which boat did you end up choosing? Would be cool to do an NJFishing Kayak Float sometime
I would definitely be up for doing a float sometime, just let me know when!

I was actually looking at NJSquatch's 10' Vibe he was selling but decided go go with a wider kayak because I like to fly fish out of it and wanted more stability.

I got a great deal on Brooklyn Kayak Company's RA220. It is 11.5' long, 34" wide and is super stable. It weighs about 70 lbs and has a max capacity: 450 lbs. The seat is super comfortable and it has a foot controlled rudder which is great.

I called them and was able to get it for $460 including a cheap paddle (which I will replace). I picked it up at a their warehouse in New Brunswick so there was no shipping charge either.

I'm really happy with it so far and can't wait to get out and fish it!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
I was looking at that unit too but I found a bunch of reviews that had people complaining that the unit had trouble in water less that 20 feet. It would start reporting that you were in 1000 feet of water. There were multiple reports of this happening.
i know there can be issues in extremely shallow water (<1'). most likely user error. there are a ton of settings that you can mess with and screw it up. i often have to restore defaults to get back to truth after messing with things. MaxMode does crazy things.

When were these reviews? HB released updated software for all the H5 G2 last August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
I know that you can't do side imaging if the transducer is mounted in the hull but I thought down imaging was ok.
def double check the DI thru hull. I would call the vendor.

Last edited by NJSquatch; 01-31-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
i know there can be issues in extremely shallow water (<1'). most likely user error. there are a ton of settings that you can mess with and screw it up. i often have to restore defaults to get back to truth after messing with things. MaxMode does crazy things.

When were these reviews? HB released updated software for all the H5 G2 last August.

def double check the DI thru hull. I would call the vendor.

I read the reviews on the following websites: Cabelas, Amazon, and a website called BassBoat Central http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=905287&

Could be user error, the unit I have on my cuddy cabin is a Humminbird and I have never had any issues with it.