NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Security Concern - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-12-2018, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Security Concern

Does it bother anyone else that the NJDFW is asking people to leave their personal information exposed to the public? I just received an e-mail about Night Fishing at Lake Hopatcong State Park, and the rule states "Anglers do not need a special permit to fish this area but do need to display a legible copy of their license on the dashboard of their vehicle". My concern is about leaving a copy of my fishing license with my personal information visible to all. Leaving my name, address, birth date, height and weight completely visible to all seems like the wrong thing to be doing with all the identify theft happening now a days. I drive a soft top Jeep Wrangler and it would be very easy for someone top open my soft top, take my garage door opener, and get my home address from the fishing license and now have access to my home. I also believe that if you use a boat ramp at one of the WMA you must leave a copy of your license visible too. I would like to propose a second page being given out with the fishing licenses that would eliminate this data but yet still could be used as proof for the boat ramps, etc.

What do you guys think? Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Security Concern

you can probably just do the one side and black out your name and/or birth date. pretty much no officers should bother you if you're just fishing, that's the point really, they just don't want other activities happening there at night.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
you can probably just do the one side and black out your name and/or birth date. pretty much no officers should bother you if you're just fishing, that's the point really, they just don't want other activities happening there at night.
I wouldn't even be fishing at the State Park from the shore, I would be out in my boat or kayak. I do use some of the ramps at the WMAs and that is more my concern. If I can black out the info then I'm good.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Security Concern

Same rules have applied at Round Valley for a long time now.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

FYI: I e-mailed the NJ Div. of Fish and Wildlife department and they quickly responded with "You can black out all information other than the CID# so if checked an officer can verify the license is current and valid"
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What about people who don't require a license, such as being 70 or older ?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by oelgnal1 View Post
What about people who don't require a license, such as being 70 or older ?
From the Div. website.....
"Valid Boat Ramp permits, or copies of valid hunting and fishing licenses, must be displayed in the rear driver's side window while using areas designated above. Personal information, such as name, address and date of birth, may be blacked out. New Jersey residents 70 years and older are not required to obtain a boat ramp maintenance permit and need no license, but must affix to their driver's side rear window proof of age, such as a former license displaying your date of birth."
Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I’m sure these are the rules, however I’m fishing these places and have never put my linense anywhere visible. Been fishing these places about ten years and I have PA tags. Lucky I guess
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
Does it bother anyone else that the NJDFW is asking people to leave their personal information exposed to the public? I just received an e-mail about Night Fishing at Lake Hopatcong State Park, and the rule states "Anglers do not need a special permit to fish this area but do need to display a legible copy of their license on the dashboard of their vehicle". My concern is about leaving a copy of my fishing license with my personal information visible to all. Leaving my name, address, birth date, height and weight completely visible to all seems like the wrong thing to be doing with all the identify theft happening now a days. I drive a soft top Jeep Wrangler and it would be very easy for someone top open my soft top, take my garage door opener, and get my home address from the fishing license and now have access to my home. I also believe that if you use a boat ramp at one of the WMA you must leave a copy of your license visible too. I would like to propose a second page being given out with the fishing licenses that would eliminate this data but yet still could be used as proof for the boat ramps, etc.

What do you guys think? Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid?
Night Fishing at Lake Hopatcong State Park?
I thought they closed/locked the gates at dusk ?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Night Fishing at Lake Hopatcong State Park?
I thought they closed/locked the gates at dusk ?
Shoreline Fishing in State Park Allowed Until May 25
A permit has been issued to DFW to allow shoreline night fishing until May 25, 2018, at Hopatcong State Park. Locations where fishing is allowed, as well as times and regulations, are found in the permit document.

Anglers do not need a special permit to fish this area but do need to display a legible copy of their license on the dashboard of their vehicle. All regular fishing regulations apply.