NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Member Intro - Central NJ Spots? + Just discovered Tenkara?! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-11-2020, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default New Member Intro - Central NJ Spots? + Just discovered Tenkara?!

Hey all,

Happy to join as you all seem like a friendly and active bunch. Some forums are ghost towns and thats never fun.

27 year old "off and on" fisher here. I've never really gone off the deep end into fishing, but if anything the covid situation has made me find some new socially distancing hobbies. Really into electronics (especially old computers) anything with a motor, and playing guitar, but I just booked a trip the first weekend in october up at the Great Sacandaga lake. I started thinking about my old rod and reel and getting some "practice" in before the trip to make sure my gear is up to snuff and get anything now that I may want then.

I also somewhat simultaneously found out about this new-fangled thing (which is steeped in hundreds of years of Japanese history lol so not new at all) called Tenkara fishing. I know its supposed to be cheaper and "pared down to the core of fly fishing" but also didn't want to sink 200$ into a setup when I could hate it. Money would be better spent on upgrading my spinning rod/reel setup if that was the case! So I went on ali-express and am now somewhat impatiently waiting my 15$ Goture "seeker"

Also Also! I'm looking into an "affordable" kayak. Looks like I can get a "lifetime" kayak for a few hundred to once again decide if this is a direction I want to go in. I do have a 12'-13' something like that Aluminum canoe available to me as well, with a small electric trolling motor. So I'm looking for some spots to get out there on the water!

So as a final touching point, glad to be on board. If you read all of this nonsense and have anything at all to talk about fire away in regards to fishing in NJ, Tenkara, Kayaking, etc. If not, I'd love to hear your "central NJ" (I'm in Trenton) fishing spots. I've never really found a spot that I "love" but if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears.

Thanks Friends! (and as people say around here, tight lines)

Last edited by Joeblowv1; 08-11-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-11-2020, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Member Intro - Central NJ Spots? + Just discovered Tenkara?!

Welcome Joe!

That canoe sounds good, are you able to strap it on the top of your car?
Id put it on the raritan river. No motor necessary, bring paddles, and typically an non-hazaordous river. Just look out for the tree at nevius street bridge on the right, and the only two dams on the river. They're easy to avoid/portage otherwise.

Bring a friend along in the canoe, two cars. Setup a point A - point B float downstream and shuttle back upstream.

Or go solo, and just put it on any larger pond/small lake to try it out.

Tenkara, not my thing, but Id just invest in an ultra light spinning rod or a fly fishing setup. Not much you can do with tenkara (I think that's the point tho lol) and a light fly rod can supply a similar challenge but also be applicable in other streams. My preference is UL spinning, 2lb test, and the smallest jigheads I can find. Like trout magnets. I catch a lot of dink creek fish that way. You can also use weightless flies, just pair it with a casting bubble or a small bobber.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Welcome man! Best fishing site in the state

I have a tenkara rod. It's a lot of fun, but like Thmyorke1 said, there's not a ton you can do with them outside of trout fishing on smaller streams and bluegill. That being said, if you can find a super cheap one (mine was $7 on amazon) it's a bunch of fun when you don't mind catching smaller fish!
Old 08-11-2020, 02:16 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

My thoughts exactly guys, I know Tenkara a polarizing topic, and not a super versatile rod, but wanted to give it a go, I like the cheap simplicity of the way I'm doing it, opposed to buying something thats pretty expensive off the shelf.

I need to pick up some flies and some line/leader/etc. so I think when everything is said and done I'm in it for 40$? No complaints there.

I Have a decent spinning rod (didn't buy a "combo" so I made sure to get a decent rod/reel) from years back, bought a nice 8-10ft river pole from Bass Pro when I was driving past the one in PA once upon a time. I think I splurged for a middle of the road Penn reel or something along those lines. Probably have 6-8lb test on there, so I'm no stranger to rod/reel/lure fishing.

I have a pickup, 05 f150 "flareside" so its only a 6.5ft bed. The canoe is my sister's but she never uses it and its open for my use.

I'm no stranger to parking two cars for "lazy floats" down the delaware, as I'm really close, but never fished it. (Not sure if the stretch from Lambertville to Trenton is any good for fishing really, never done it)

Last edited by Joeblowv1; 08-11-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Old 08-11-2020, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeblowv1 View Post
I'm no stranger to parking two cars for "lazy floats" down the delaware, as I'm really close, but never fished it. (Not sure if the stretch from Lambertville to Trenton is any good for fishing really, never done it)
I heard everything above trenton is fair game for smallmouth, and largemouth can be found even farther down in tidal parts.

Id definitely just revisit that with a spinning rod if you're already familiar there.

I would just get fresh monofilament line , Trilene XL or stren is good, on that reel. And make sure nothing goes out of service on the big-trip. Id buy and bring a new, 2nd rod and reel. Especially with gear you havent used in some time, you never know what problems it might have and a 2nd setup is always nice.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Hey joe, I’m new to this site also and it is without a doubt the best site in NJ!
There are a lot of great people here, always willing to help out. And some talented anglers too! Look at the fish these guys post! I’m a long time saltwater fisherman who went back to freshwater and I’m really enjoying it. Like you the shut down got me back into it. Back in March I purchased a wilderness Tarpon120. It’s a paddle kayak and very basic. I wanted it that way so I could outfit it with what I wanted and where I wanted it. I started by fishing a lot of different places, until I found a couple that I enjoy going to. My 2 favorites are Assunpink and spruce run. I’ve had more fish less outings than I planned but the goal (for me anyway) was to learn the bodies of water. Like stated above, buy some good equipment and learn how to use it. For me half the fun is buying new gear and more tackle than I’ll probably ever use! Good luck!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have the same flare side f150 and put a 15' canoe in it without a problem.....insert canoe on an angle...tie down strap the front so it doesn't tip upward and a tie down to the back that pulls it in toward the bed of the truck, done...good luck!!!!
Old 08-11-2020, 09:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

welcome or should i say "hey joe were are you goin with that rod and guitar in your hand." the big D also known as the Delaware river has flatheads and smalmouth down by you and shad in the spring. Small tackle is not for the flatheads but you can have a bunch of fun with the rock bass and the smallmouths hope to read some reports from you soon TIGHT LINES