NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Monmouth county Pond for easy shore Fishing - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-13-2020, 12:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Monmouth county Pond for easy shore Fishing

Might give Moulders a try but guess I have to keep the fish which am not keen on. Holmdel Park have fished since the 80s but the past few years has not been very good once the trout get fished out and have not seen a catfish in many years. I think they had to drain the lake 10 or so years ago and it hasnt been the same since.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/hofnod_ythchallenge20.htm

There is a fishing for kids event in Neptune. Check out the link from the Division of Fish and Wildlife. In fact, if anyone on this board has kids, check out an event near where you live. Also notice the number of counties that have no sponsors or events. Does anyone have the interest and enthusiasm to get behind this program in a pond near you?
Old 10-13-2020, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
Might give Moulders a try but guess I have to keep the fish which am not keen on. Holmdel Park have fished since the 80s but the past few years has not been very good once the trout get fished out and have not seen a catfish in many years. I think they had to drain the lake 10 or so years ago and it hasnt been the same since.

Thanks everyone.
Pretty sure you only need to keep the trout. I grew up in hazlet the only lakes in the area i remember riding my bike to were veterans park in hazlet was small but loaded with cats. Crystal pond in middletown had decent small bass and was 1st to freeze for ice skating and sometimes we'd ride our bikes to shadow lake but that was a really far ride and wed never tell our parents we went that far. Anytime we went to molders it was always an adventure and we caught something crazy.

Late edit: check out topanemus that was always a good early spring spot for pickerel depending on where you are in holmdel it might be like a 5min drive

Last edited by phil; 10-13-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10-13-2020, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Phil

Small world as I grew up in Hazlet as well. Just off laurel ave in back of Lillian dr school. There was a swamp/pond system in back of the old general store across from the helfrich bus lot on Lauren ave that was loaded with huge bass, pickerel and Carp. Leeches too if you tried to walk in. Hard to access unless one of the houses let you fish their backyard but there was an overpass on hwy 36 you could fish under which was right before the Palmer ave exit (there was an old Brick red grocery store there called the “barn” something and now it’s a big CVS)

Thx
Old 10-14-2020, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Phil

Small world as I grew up in Hazlet as well. Just off laurel ave in back of Lillian dr school. There was a swamp/pond system in back of the old general store across from the helfrich bus lot on Lauren ave that was loaded with huge bass, pickerel and Carp. Leeches too if you tried to walk in. Hard to access unless one of the houses let you fish their backyard but there was an overpass on hwy 36 you could fish under which was right before the Palmer ave exit (there was an old Brick red grocery store there called the “barn” something and now it’s a big CVS)

Thx
How could you so easily forget such an iconic american supermarket brand like The Farm Barn!

We used to go into the woods behind the public works building off leocadia and bushwack around there all 4 seasons. Never really did catch anything besides turtles but heard stories about fish farther up stream towards 36.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yes the Farm Barn! The area you fished by Leocadia stretched all the way up to Rte 36 and opened up a bit with deeper waters. There were bass up to 8#, pickerel up to 4# and carp they used to fish with cross bows up to 30#. There may have been bigger but those what were I saw caught. Live shiners were the key. If you could catch the shiners in the lake a bass or pickerel was automatic. The place was literally teaming with fish. I am sure they are still there. Never had the guts to take a raft in there. I’m not kidding, the amount of leeches in the water was staggering which I am sure fed the bass population.

I can remember the old Jack and the Preacher nursery off laurel ave but not the Farm Barn. Lol.

Last edited by John D.; 10-14-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Spring lake, Holmdel park, and Topenemus have served me well when my kids were little.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Yes the Farm Barn! The area you fished by Leocadia stretched all the way up to Rte 36 and opened up a bit with deeper waters. There were bass up to 8#, pickerel up to 4# and carp they used to fish with cross bows up to 30#. There may have been bigger but those what were I saw caught. Live shiners were the key. If you could catch the shiners in the lake a bass or pickerel was automatic. The place was literally teaming with fish. I am sure they are still there. Never had the guts to take a raft in there. I’m not kidding, the amount of leeches in the water was staggering which I am sure fed the bass population.

I can remember the old Jack and the Preacher nursery off laurel ave but not the Farm Barn. Lol.
was that the nursery behind luigis on the corner of middle rd and laurel ave? that guy might have been a perfectly nice old man, but something about him playing the piano, and being santa claus, he really gave me the heebie jeebies as a kid.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
was that the nursery behind luigis on the corner of middle rd and laurel ave? that guy might have been a perfectly nice old man, but something about him playing the piano, and being santa claus, he really gave me the heebie jeebies as a kid.
That’s him lol. I think they used to hatch the chickens in the incubator around easter. Lived there from 1977 until went to college in 1989