NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

$%!@ carp troubles - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default $%!@ carp troubles

I just came back from carp fishing and I am so upset! I used 20lb line with corn as bait. I chumed the water with creamed corn. I had a decent amount of slack in the water since carp are so sensitive. About every 20 minutes something (I'm pretty sure a carp) would start nibbling at the bait then it would start taking in huge amounts of slack and the rod would start bending but the hook would not set. I would then attempt to set the hook, but nothing is there... Or a different scenario, it would immediately take all of the slack and the rod would bend and then quickly go slack again, then it would start bending then immediately go slack again. This happened atleast 6 times. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: $%!@ carp troubles

Were you fishing the Nom? I know the carp there are pretty damn smart. I've found that using two stakes with the rod completly off the ground. I leave my bail open and let the thing go for a good 15 or 20 yards of line and then I pop the bail back and many times they'll hook themselves at that point. You might want to double check the size of your hook, trying moving down a number. Tight lines!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

why are you using such a heavy line? i'd go way down, to like 4#

generally whenever you are fishing with bait where the fish comes to it and has to pick it up, you want as thin line as possible so they don't feel it when they start to take off with the bait.

on the other hand when you are tossing a lure that is moving and that fish hit while it is going through the water the weight of the line is not as important because they will not feel it before they are hooked. it is important however that the line not be too visible or it may deter strikes when the fish see it.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It sounds like the carp are bumping your line or ejecting the bait. When you chum sometimes your line gets caught up on their fins or body and it can make the line go slack. Carp can eject hooks very easily so you need a setup that sets the hook for you. Stick with the 20lb line but get all the slack out of it, add a 1-3 oz lead, 5" 20-50lb braid leader with a SHARP #6 hook and 3 kernels of corn. Be patient, if you get a run you'll know it and the fish will already be hooked so just pick up the rod and start reeling.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Check out this video. It shows the rigs I use and it will give you an idea of what is happening under the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFbN...4&feature=plcp
Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

what type of weighting are you using?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

great video saxmatt, how did you film it? what was the depth/clarity of the water? river or lake?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thinking of hitting the Nom tonigth for some carp action. This weather might just have brought the water temp to a perfect feeding temp and I might get that 20lber that snapped my line off last month.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps
great video saxmatt, how did you film it? what was the depth/clarity of the water? river or lake?
It's not my video, it was made by a guy named Jerome who lives up in Massachusetts. He has some great underwater videos. I think he fishes off of a cement wall so he can control the camera and rig position.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use soft corn meal bait on a small treble hook with no weight and slack line. As soon as the line moves, I yank. I caught 257 carp since April using that method. Somebody gave me hard corn meal bait a few years ago and I only caught 1 carp with it in 3 months. I think that you get less hookups with hard bait.