NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Dundee Dam - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Dundee Dam

Probably the worst day of fishing this year. Lost $70 worth of tackle, hooked one fish but lost it. Went to cast my whopper plopped back to the spot it was hit and it snapped off for no reason, bail was open and there were no tangles in my line. Don’t think I’ll be going back here anytime soon.

Idk what it is, but my year has SUCKED freshwater fishing wise. I feel like I can’t catch anything. I could probably count the amount of bass I caught on both hands. Getting so so frustrated!!!! At least I’ve done ok in the salt!!

Going out for redemption after work on Wednesday!

Last edited by Hookmanski; 08-26-2019 at 08:52 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Dundee Dam

I understand your frustration .. I have been there.. Just an idea that might change your luck.. Go to some lakes or streams that you know hold fish, and fish with live bait.. Get some live minnows and fish under a bobber or live line them with no weight... When in doubt go back to basics... Fish eat little fish not plastic metal or wood... Yes lures are good , but they are designed to trick fish into grabbing them.. A live minnow or wiggling worm is something a fish wants to eat, no trickery needed... Might be worth a try, its worked for me in the past during lean fishing times... bob
Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Grab some worms, find some bluegill, and have some fun for an hour or so. You'd be surprised how fast you get your mojo back. Good luck Wednesday!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-26-2019, 10:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Probably the worst day of fishing this year. Don’t think I’ll be going back here anytime soon.
This is exactly how i felt the first ten or so times fishing there. Constant donations to the snags and feeling defeated while leaving makes it easy to hate. Defeated me soo much that I kept going back & slowly but surely redeemed my faith in that spot after better success. They're out there, just keep at it. What side did you try, Garfield or Clifton?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I sometimes feel bad for losing my 0.25 cent jigs and plastics.

Ive been sucking hard too, on the main stem raritan, and need to go back to one of the branches to feel what it's like catching more than two smb in an outing again
Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Try fishing more productive waters, in reality the Passaic River in Garfield is not known to be a top spot. I have fished places this year such as the sheds, pompton, hopatcong, round valley, swartswoods and have had great success and not a skunk day all year. I fished the Delaware this past Friday and caught over 20 bass. Sometimes all it takes is to expand the locations you fish or possibly an upgrade to equipment, or more time on the water if time allows.
Best of luck to you!

Last edited by RWole; 08-27-2019 at 06:32 AM..
Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Luciano View Post
This is exactly how i felt the first ten or so times fishing there. Constant donations to the snags and feeling defeated while leaving makes it easy to hate. Defeated me soo much that I kept going back & slowly but surely redeemed my faith in that spot after better success. They're out there, just keep at it. What side did you try, Garfield or Clifton?
I actually tried both sides! Got to the Garfield side at 5:20, fished that side with ned rigs, spinnerbaits and a chatterbait for about an hour and a half before moving over to the island preserve to try that side out. Got the one bite on that side on a whopper plopper (that I'll have to replace lol!). I fished until it was just about dark.

If Wednesday doesn't go well I'll be trying out the live bait route for the first time in years, maybe I'll take the kayak to aeroflex and grab some shiners from Andover fish and hunt. Honestly ill probably do that at some point even if i kill it on Wednesday! haha.

Last edited by Hookmanski; 08-27-2019 at 07:40 AM..
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

All the effort will make it so much sweeter when you finally land one! I've been wanting to try out the stretch of river below the dam for a while now, so when you're ready to go back and conquer it together hit me up
Old 08-27-2019, 09:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM221 View Post
All the effort will make it so much sweeter when you finally land one! I've been wanting to try out the stretch of river below the dam for a while now, so when you're ready to go back and conquer it together hit me up
I’ll definitely take you up on that! I usually fish alone so it’s be nice to have some company to keep me sane
Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
maybe I'll take the kayak to aeroflex and grab some shiners from Andover fish and hunt. Honestly ill probably do that at some point even if i kill it on Wednesday! haha.
aeroflex is a 3 ring circus. there are better options imo.