NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rockaway River Surprise 7/7 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-07-2019, 10:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Rockaway River Surprise 7/7

I know I haven't posted in a while guys. Having two jobs and a one year old son has been keeping me from getting out. Had a good May and June of largemouth fishing in my usual lake I go to. But today, I had some time to put on my waders and walk through my backyard down down to the river. It was my first time walking down there when it was finally at a fishable level. I have seen mixed reports on here to I was eager to start exploring. I started out getting small bites from smaller fish with no hook up. I kept walking and started to sink in quick sand and started cursing and was about to call it quits. However, I was determined to catch some damn fish!

I finally came across a spot that looked fishy. Started seeing big carp and other types of blow ups. First, I started catching tiny perch on a spinner. Then, I caught a largemouth on a spinnerbait, Then third,I hooked up with a small pike. Ten minutes later, BAM!, another pike! But this one was thicker and about 25". Ten minutes later......another pike! About the same size as the previous one. I was ecstatic because I found these fish on my own and finally got some pike out of the ROCKAWAY! Yes, the Rockaway. I tried some topwater after but no love. The moral of this report, never give up because you ever know what's lurking 50 yds down the river! I went from discouraged to super excited in a matter of minutes. Definitely a fun and memorable trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3665.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	135250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3667.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	135251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3673.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	135252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3680.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	135253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3682.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	135254  

Old 07-08-2019, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Rockaway River Surprise 7/7

Now thatís awesome! Way to stick it out and make something happen man! You never know whatís in the water these days. Haha! Cool stuff and great fish!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rockaway River Surprise 7/7

always wondered why there weren't more in there...with them being primarily sight feeders and the rockaway being so much clearer water than the passaic. If you go to where the rockaway dumps into the passaic it's crazy to see...like pouring clear water into chocolate milk haha
Old 07-08-2019, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Rockaway River Surprise 7/7

That's really cool !

Round Valley Trout Association Member
http://www.cjstreamteam.org/
Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

nice fish from the Rockaway river. you must have been below the jersey city res on that river as i grew up fishing the Rockaway river in the boonton area and never got a pike there just slime darts and smallmouth bass as well as largemouth bass. cool report.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
always wondered why there weren't more in there...with them being primarily sight feeders and the rockaway being so much clearer water than the passaic. If you go to where the rockaway dumps into the passaic it's crazy to see...like pouring clear water into chocolate milk haha
Dude, the water was definitely more clearer and there was all types if baitfish around. The only things is there are so many log jams. Some blocked off the river completely. How did these pike make it there??
Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgogz View Post
Dude, the water was definitely more clearer and there was all types if baitfish around. The only things is there are so many log jams. Some blocked off the river completely. How did these pike make it there??
The Pike originally came up from the passaic river no doubt. By now there has to be a resident population as you have discovered.. You would be surprised at how far upsteam Pike will take hold after a few years.. They will go wherever there is food and some deep enough water for them.. I would be interested if any have made it as far as the whippany river, although that might be too shallow for them.... Yes they are ambush predators that are designed for weeds, but there are plenty in rocky streams without even a blade of grass to hide in.. Pike are much more adaptable than they are given credit for. bob
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice man!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
One of my favorite spots on the river!

Nice work Anthony, good to see you finding the time to wack a few!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That looks like a blast Ant!
Nothing beats exploring and discovering places that hold fish, and wading out for them makes it even better.
Good Job!