NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Shoreline fish finder - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-13-2019, 02:52 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Shoreline fish finder

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with or opinions on castable fish finders such as i bobber for fishing the shoreline ?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Shoreline fish finder

Never used one myself but have watched many videos on them as I was considering buying one. They seem like a good way to tell depth, and can find fish decently, but one wrong move and you end up casting 80-200 dollars into a tree or snag. I'd check around places like facebook marketplace to see if you could get one at some kind of a discount just in case!
Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i don't really see it being that much of an advantage from the shore. how far are you really casting? I wouldn't buy it...put that money towards a kayak and get off the shore imo.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
I wouldn't buy it...put that money towards a kayak and get off the shore imo.
^^^^ what he said
Old 09-17-2019, 11:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

it may a help in places that you don't have a chart of to determine the underwater structure, but near shore in shallow water the fish hit the lure from the side, not below, so you don't see them coming on a fishfinder anyway.

just for comparison... in my boat, i never use the sonar when working a shoreline, but i use the chart all the time.

Last edited by acabtp; 09-17-2019 at 11:28 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 PM
NJFishing.com Member

When I researched the fish finders online got a lot of mixed reviews and their accuracy in shallow water was called into question. Figured I would post something here and see what responses I got back. Was also looking at drones and other remote control boats with lure or bait drop capability which would be able to get me out much further when fishing from the shore line trying to get to deeper water during the summer. Will probably put both ideas on ice for a bit. Ordered the Outcast frame less pontoon boat so if things go well will be able to use that in small lakes and ponds for the early fall and then again in spring next year moving forward. Was looking at the fishing kayaks that were suggested, specifically the old tyme brand, I think, but would be an issue transporting with my little 4 door hatchback so I went with the inflatable as it seemed more reasonable to transport.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HessFish View Post
When I researched the fish finders online got a lot of mixed reviews and their accuracy in shallow water was called into question. Figured I would post something here and see what responses I got back. Was also looking at drones and other remote control boats with lure or bait drop capability which would be able to get me out much further when fishing from the shore line trying to get to deeper water during the summer. Will probably put both ideas on ice for a bit. Ordered the Outcast frame less pontoon boat so if things go well will be able to use that in small lakes and ponds for the early fall and then again in spring next year moving forward. Was looking at the fishing kayaks that were suggested, specifically the old tyme brand, I think, but would be an issue transporting with my little 4 door hatchback so I went with the inflatable as it seemed more reasonable to transport.
i transport a 12' aluminum jon boat on my little honda civic all over north and central jersey. been doing it for many years with no problem. You'd def have no issues with a kayak on your 4 door.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
i transport a 12' aluminum jon boat on my little honda civic all over north and central jersey. been doing it for many years with no problem. You'd def have no issues with a kayak on your 4 door.
x2, i transport my 10ft kayak all over on top on my civic and never have any issues. I even have removable crossbars and they work perfectly. just make sure everything is properly tied down and you be good to go.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I bought a Deeper Start about a year ago. It's their cheapest version, and since the reservoirs up near me don't allow anything but shore fishing, and a few of the creeks and streams really aren't "small craft friendly", this was my best option.
This unit has no switches or anything, it activates when it hits the water, and works with an app on my iphone. The charge lasts longer than a day fishing for me, and comes with a USB charging cable so I can charge it from my truck if necessary.
I've used it in the local reservoir complex, and in the main reservoir, it shows that the bottom is a consistent 21-22 feet almost everywhere. That is exactly what you'd expect from a 28 acre man-made impoundment. It is about 24 feet deep at the pump tower and that seems logical as well, so I feel the data this unit generates is reliable. As I reel it in, it shows the slope of the bottom as the unit approaches the shoreline, which is another confidence thing for me to trust it. It has a fish identification function that uses three sizes of target identification, and it shows the depth of that target. I pick up a lot of fish using it, but really can't verify that those were actually fish, or that they were actually there at all. Perhaps using this device on one rod while fishing another might work, but I haven't done that yet.
On the negative side, the range isn't as far as I'd like. I can cast it out past it's range fairly easily. The connection can get a bit inconsistent and that's frustrating when you're reading stuff on a slow retrieve, and it just loses connection. They're supposedly updating the software constantly to improve that issue, but it still happens too often for me.

Overall it's a neat gadget. I spent about $100 for it, and it does help paint that mental picture of the water I'm fishing as far as depth and bottom contour, it shows fish, sometimes even groups of fish and their depths. In the creeks, it tells where the holes are, and how deep they are. Using the current to move the unit works in streams and creeks, but the limited range and connectivity issues get frustrating.